Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Just call me Martha

A ton of things have been happening around our household. Samuel has started crawling, he's got 7 teeth, Joshua is about to get out of kindergarten, and we just returned from a trip to Seoul to see some good friends of ours. This is just to name a few things. Our time here lately has just been wooshing by.

Today I just finished this great little stroller liner/pad for Samuel's stroller. Sam has migrated to using the Maclaren umbrella stroller that was once Joshua's. I have to stress over and over again what a great stroller this has been for us. Anyone out there new on the market of baby gear should consider a Maclaren. Yes, they are pricey but, a stroller is something that new parents should NEVER cheap out on. Trust me, I cheaped out on my first stroller and ended up buying 3 more cheap ones before caving and buying this one. They can also be found second hand and still in great condition. Children will use a stroller longer than their crib and we all know how much cribs cost. It will not only serve as a child transport but something to pile shopping bags in along with anything else one might need to push along while holding a baby. Maclaren's are light, compact, and have incredibly good construction. Because it takes up so little space and holds up well, I plan on keeping it just to have on hand in case we have little visitors. I bought this one used on Ebay and have been really happy with it. I have a little bit of a reputation for being a stroller junky. I bought a Combi travel system with the car seat that clicked into the stroller and didn't like it much. It was nice when i was using the car seat but after several months of pushing it around, the wheels started really sticking and it became difficult to turn with one hand. Needless to say my Combi is sitting here fairly new. I bought a Combi Japanese style car seat that swivels at Hard off Book Off several months ago and absolutely love it. They just came out with a model of car seat that swivels in the states by Combi. Aprica is an awesome brand as well bit very expensive if brand new. In Europe and here in Japan, Aprica is a well known brand. Sadly in the US, they aren't very popular. Most likely because of the price tag. Their car seats are pretty fantastic though. I love to buy things second hand if I can. I found a Quinny pram stroller at the second hand store on base for $5.00. I was told that in Europe it could go for $400.

Anyway, I totally went on a writers rant and got off the original subject. After web browsing I cam across a web page where a person was making stroller pads for Maclaren strollers. I was so excited over this. I decided to type her an email and ask a few questions. Alas, she was flaky and didn't get back to me. (Either that or I just never got her email for some reason). I still wanted one really bad. After visiting her site, I figured out that with some help, I could probably make one myself. I bribed my crafty girlfriend Dayna to help me map out/measure out how I to make it. After some help making the measurements, I was off! I was so inspired after sewing a little bit at Dayna's house I was determined on getting it done. Sure enough, it's done and soooo cute.

Total chick blog I know. Trust me, we'll have so more interesting ones coming up but for now our readers have to endure through my product props.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't you the practical and crafty one! Baba

Wed Jun 03, 09:58:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger d said...

I can't wait to see it, and now I know that I should be coming to you for sewing tips!!!

Thu Jun 04, 08:20:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home