Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Visitor from Home

When you're overseas for a prolonged period of time, the only thing better than getting in touch with family and friends from home is getting a visit from family back home. In early April, over Josh's spring break from school, Nicki's mom came to visit. I'm not sure who was more excited about the trip, Nicki's mom, Laura, or the rest of us.

We picked her up from Narita on April 3 - the first time we had actually drive up to Narita Airport in the 3.5 years that we've been living here. She returned to the airport on April 13 to fly back to the States. And in between, we had a whole lot of fun.

We spent a few nights up at the New Sanno Hotel, which we were able to book only a week in advance, thanks to some last minute cancellations. It had been a while since we stayed up there... so long, in fact, that it made me realize how fun it actually can be. Josh got to spend a bit of time in the pool and hot tub, which he loves. And we were able to show Grammi many of the fun touristy things to see in Tokyo, including Harajuku, Tokyo Disneyland, the Emperor's Palace, and Shibuya (just Nicki and her mom). Outside of Tokyo, we also took her to Kamakura, to give her a taste of the real flavor of Japan's great temples and shrines. Grammi was even game for going to Kawasaki for the annual Fertility Festival, which was a blast as it is every year, even with the kids in tow.

Her trip coincided almost identically with the entire cherry blossom season, which led us into some great photo opportunities. Pics are in the Gallery, dated 04/30/2009, or you can view them by clicking here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like fun - your pictures are amazing!

Fri May 01, 01:37:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Emerson Clan said...

Love the pictures! You have given me some advice about our upcoming move to Yokosuka this summer. THank you! I have a couple more questions: What recommendations do you have for survival Japanese language dvds or computer programs? I am looking for something for me and for my 3 year old. I plan on taking more language training after I get settled. Secondly, are there resources/places/groups where my son could be exposed to Japanese language like in a preschool or playgroup setting? I can't pay an arm and a leg but I would love for him to learn a second language. Thanks so much for your time!
carolandbrad@hotmail.com

Fri May 01, 07:47:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jen, thanks for the comment on the pictures!

Emersons, we don't have much experience with Japanese language DVDs or computer programs. Much of what we have learned has been by word of mouth. I did work my way through a few Pimsleurs (sp?) DVD lessons when we first moved here. That helped some. I also took a few classes on base when I had the time, but that wasn't really frequent enough to work well for my brain. As for your 3yo, you may want to consider "youchien", Japanese preschool, for him. Your sponsor may be able to help in that regard.

Good luck with the move.

-Mike

Fri May 01, 03:44:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Steph said...

I found your blog while looking for Japan blogs (particularly in the Yokosuka area as my husband might possibly be getting a job there), and I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your posts and looking through your photos! It looks like an amazing place to live. I hope I get to see it for myself soon!

Tue May 05, 07:59:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Steph,

Thanks for the comment. Japan has been kind to us and has been a great learning experience in international travel. Good luck to you and your husband with his job search.

Mike

Thu May 07, 04:45:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Glad you got a visit from back home. I so wish we could make it over there!! You guys starting to get tired of the international lifestyle and read to come home?

Tue May 19, 06:50:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home