Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Cost of Things

Most people think that it's expensive to live in Japan. In a lot of ways, they are so right. Things for the most part are much more expensive than in the States. However, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that unfortunately, we as Americans can't read the sale ads when they come in the mail or are posted. We have to rely on word of mouth. For example, I found out that many vendors celebrate Wednesday as Ladies Day. Where everything for ladies is 1000 yen. Many times this is for onsen or a lunch special at the local restaurant. Also, there are certain days of the month that restaurants give deals. Like, 30% sushi. The trick is to find out when and where those deals happen.

I haven't really found out to many deals over the time we've been here but I'll share what I do know. Uniqlo has good deals on clothing. I'm usually a Medium in American size which equals out to a large in Uniqlo size. Some things are too short on me. I think it's set up like Petit sizes in America. However, for children they've got some great deals on basic clothing. I just purchased Joshua's shorts there for 1000 yen apiece. These shorts are great. They have a real drawstring and are styled long so that Joshua may get 2 summer's wear out of them.

We also really enjoy going to Hard Off / Book Off. This is a consignment chain store in Japan. I saw a Kate Spade bag there for 2200 yen. I just bought several jumpers for Samuel 100 yen a piece. I bought a Combi infant convertible car seat there for 3200 yen and a buffet style table for 8000 yen (has an outlet for the rice cooker). They sell just about anything there. I usually go first for the children's clothing section though. I find all of the boys Summer yukatas there. They also purchase used items as well but I hear that there isn't a lot of $$$ in that. A girlfriend of mine got me hooked on this place and the second hand store here on base. I have really grown to appreciate thrift stores and consignment stores and am amazed at what people just get rid of.

There are certain things that are just cheaper off base than on base. Diapers for example. I've found nothing as absorbant as American Pampers but I absolutely love Merries Diapers. I use those during the day and American Pampers at night so he doesn't wet through. Merries are soft and for some reason he doesn't get diaper rash from them.

Most folks know this already but the 100 yen store is still one of the best places to find deals. Another good place is Paseos. They sell futons, fabric, & clothing.

As far as food goes, the best deals daily are found in the evening at grocery stores. Most times vendors are trying to clear the shelves of their deli items like tempura, sushi, yakitori, yakisoba, etc. Oh yes, and be sure to bring your own bag. Many stores now offer a discount for customers that bring their own bags.

I hope that this helps anyone out there who is new to Japan and on a shoestring budget. As I find new things, I'll try to report. In the mean time, anyone out there come across some good deals or specials here in Yokosuka, be sure to comment!

7 Comments:

Blogger Emerson Clan said...

Thanks for the info. My family and I are moving to Yokosuka in August. We won't be living on base so I really appreciate all your tips.

-Carol-

Sun Mar 15, 03:20:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Emerson Clan said...

Follow up questions: As we are planning our move I am curious about a couple things. As I am a large/x-large in US sizes will I have any off base shopping options? Also, I am a scrapbooker and was curious if you knew of any shops/resources for scrapbooking supplies nearby. I have heard the humidity in homes can be lethal to books and pictures. Our housing will have wall mounted AC. Should I take other precautions with books, pictures, etc??

Thanks!
Carol

Sun Mar 15, 03:26:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Carol, glad to have a new reader! Unfortunately for large/x-large American sizing it can be very difficult to find off base. The best option is online shopping and the NEX. I still get a lot of my clothing online. I'll look for something at Uniqlo to get a quick shopping fix. The humidity is similar to the southeast in the states. Depending on your off base house, there are many precautions you can take to prevent mold/warped pictures, etc. Wall mounted AC is pretty standard here in Japan. On most units there is a dryer option. It's not AC but it dries the air. This is helpful during the spring when the humidity kicks in but it's not quite hot enough yet for AC. Also, the 100 yen shop sells things that take moisture out of the air in closets. This is important when packing up winter clothes for the summer to prevent mold. They also sell them at Homes or D2 (Similar to a Home Depot in the states). Japan has some great little products for scrapbooking. If that is your hobby, you'll have a lot of fun here. Most folks are eager to help in the community. When we arrived, we lived off base. We got a lot of information through our neighbors and new friends. Good Luck!

Sun Mar 15, 05:34:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Emerson Clan said...

Thanks so much for your reply! We will have a sponser and I know they will be a lot of help to us. Any other info you have about living tips etc I would also love. You are welcome to email me at carolandbrad@hotmail.com if you feel so inclined. I have actually been reading your blog on and off for a year--since my husband found out about our move. Thanks again!

Sun Mar 15, 09:20:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Nicki, Mike and Josh -

Hope that our package made it to Josh all right (i.e. nothing too smashed!) Tyler was so excited to get the candies you sent. The banana Kit Kat's were unusal, but oddly tasty. Josh and Sam's picture is still up in Room 2 at Wenzel and I know he is missed! Hope all continues to go well for your family.
Jennifer and Tyler

Thu Mar 26, 07:50:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, thanks for visiting the site! We are so happy he got the package. We haven't received a package yet from Tyler but we will keep our eyes open for it. They have all different types of Kit Kats here that are seasonal flavors. It makes it fun and keeps the consumer buying!

Thu Mar 26, 01:01:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Missy said...

Hi, Nicki. I found your blog almost a year ago when we found out we were moving here and I googled Yokosuka, Japan. I haven't visited the site in awhile, but came across it again today when I google Uniqlo! I enjoyed your post about deals and bargains in Yokosuka and just wanted to tell you and your readers about Wednesdays at Sotetsu Rosen, which are 100 yen days. Alot of the fruit and vegetables are 100 yen and there are other deals throughout the store. And don't forget to get your 'Welcome card' (like a points card) at the service desk.

Thu May 07, 02:38:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home