Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Authority

I have issues with teachers. I'm a little nervous around them. Maybe it has to do with the fact that in 1st grade I had a really bad teacher. I started getting sick just about everyday in her class and my poor mother had to take time off from work (at that time she was a single mom and didn't really have an understanding boss for things like that). My mother would get frustrated with me over my "illness" because, well, nobody could figure out why I was having so much trouble. Needless to say, the teacher was fired after her first year there and all the pieces came together. However, I was one of the unlucky children out of 25+ other 1st grade students that experienced her wrath. Ever since then, I've been a little nervous when I have had to ask teachers/school faculty for help.

Even Joshua's preschool teacher, Ms. Kim (who was awesome!), made me a little nervous - and I'm a grown woman! Today is Joshua's first day of school and, after going to orientation on the 28th, we found out that the school was subject to con-capping. Basically the elementary school is over its maximum limit for students and after the first three weeks, several students attending will be sent on buses to other neighborhood schools for the remainder of the year. Because he registered late, and because he'll only be here temporarely, we figured that Joshua would be a prime candidate for the cut off.

The other day we ran into the president of the PTA, who advised us to have a little sit down with the principal and see what could be done. Joshua has afternoon class so we went in before school to meet with her. I was a nervous wreck and felt like vomiting or crying the whole time we sat in her office. She too is an awesome lady. We found out that Joshua was not on the short list for capping so he will be staying at his school. This definitely put our minds at ease. The thought of his changing kindergartens 3 times in several months was crazy to us. As we walked back to the car, my legs felt like jell-o.

I'm so ashamed.

Our good friends, Nathalie and Thomas, who are educators and my sister-in-law, a second grade teacher, should get a kick out of this post.

4 Comments:

Blogger d said...

That is great news! Moving scholls can be a huge deal. AND what was up with your 1st grade teacher!?!

Wed Sep 03, 03:35:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I understand your nervousness. I felt that way last year. But Sav had a great K teacher. Her teach this year is a bitch. You just have to go in there knowing that YOU are in charge. YOU are the parent. And they work for YOU. Be nice but firm. Don't take any guff. It is hard, but you just have to be that way now.

I am sure he is going to LOVE Kindergarten!!!

Tue Sep 09, 05:27:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

How is Josh liking school??

You aren't the old one that feels that way about teachers. Heck, Miss Kim and I were about the same age, same backgrounds and yet I still saw her as a MAJOR authority figure.

Wed Sep 10, 02:08:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I have to be brave now for my son. :) Joshua is absolutely loving kindergarten. I think when he graduated pre-school there was something missing in his day. He enjoys the songs, instructions, books, friends, and structure that come with a kindergarten class. Most people prefer the morning class and for us it might be better for our schedule too but I think that the afternoon class works better for him and his schedule so, that's a good thing.

Fri Sep 12, 03:48:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home