Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What Do You Do If You Can't Sing Well?

You Singapore.


Bad joke, I know. But what can I say, my wife and kid left Japan without me, so my typical 4-year old range jokes are building up without an audience.

Good news for you Japan Years readers, even though my family has returned to the States for a few months, I'm still here to share my pictures and stories about the Land of the Rising Sun. And I'll start... by posting pictures of my trip to Singapore a few weeks ago.

Singapore is a great town/city/state/country. Some of my observations from the trip:

1. The population is diverse - plenty of folks with Chinese, Korean, Indian, or Western descent - which keeps it interesting. Not to mention that just about all of the world's major religions are represented in that group.

2. Everyone spoke English. And they did it well. Good old fashioned Queen's English, not the kind that I'm used to hearing from my own thoughts and words.

3. The food was to die for, and not like the "to die for" experience I had when I got Salmonella in Thailand. The good kind of "to die for". I ate some of the best Indian and Chinese food I've had in years, at very reasonable prices.

4. The city was clean and orderly, at least the touristy areas were. But considering that there was an extra-large fine for the smallest of offenses, it's no wonder that people are unwilling to publicly litter, chew gum, ride bikes in tunnels, or go on killing sprees.

5. I would love to visit there again. It was a unique place. It felt like being in Asia, which is good because that's where it's located. But it also felt a lot like being in parts of Western Europe. What a great blend.

Anyway, photos are up in the gallery, dated 07/15/2008.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Poor, sad Mike all alone in Japan. I'll read your jokes and even laugh at them for you. I bet you miss them bunches!

I have heard Singapore is awesome.

Thu Jul 17, 07:34:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing . . . would have liked to been along with you. mom

Thu Jul 17, 10:49:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger ablykins said...

I've never been to Singapore, but hearing your description makes me want to take a trip there!

I hope you are doing well managing alright with Nicki and Josh back in the states. I know long term family seperation is tough. Hang in there!

Thu Jul 31, 06:07:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home