Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Friday, August 01, 2008

Diego Garcia, BIOT

Work can be rough sometimes. This, however, is not one of those times.

I posted a little while ago about my trip to Singapore. But I don't think I ever mentioned why I was in Singapore. As it turns out, Singapore is one of the few locations in the world where one can get to the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT) island of Diego Garcia. It's definitely the most idealistic layover location from Japan, anyway.

Diego Garcia is a British owned island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. It's pretty isolated from the rest of the world. So much so, that I think Antarctica is one of the only places on the entire globe that is further away from another major landmass. The British, years ago, were kind enough to allow the United States to put a military base on Diego Garcia. And recently, my boss was kind enough to let me travel down there for work. And the military was kind enough to let me take pictures while I was there to share with the rest of you.

If you want to know more about Diego Garcia, check out that link above... as I am not an expert and would hate to mislead you. But what I will share with you are some pictures from one of the most unspoiled natural places I have had the good fortune to step foot upon.

Gallery is up and dated 08/01/2008. If you don't have the time, here are a few teaser snapshots.

Headquarters Building


Postcard Perfect Boat Staging Area


Welcome to the Jungle


This coconut has a heck of a view


Environmentally Protected Coconut Crab

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures of Diego Garcia. The blues between the sky and ocean were magnificent. LY, mom

Fri Aug 01, 10:01:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Antipasta said...

Looks like your own private island.. nice!

Sat Aug 02, 12:20:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rough life......Love, the wife :)

Sat Aug 02, 07:42:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ablykins said...

Your wildlife photos are great! I got deja vu looking through your Kodak gallery since certain areas of Guam look so much like many of the areas depicted in your photos.

There is an old rusted out Japanese tank at the bottom of the hill near our house and so many signs of war that it is a bit creepy sometimes! Tumon Bay is the shining tourist center that looks amazing and is full of resorts and shops, but once you venture away from that area, the island looks quite different.

I had to squeel the other night as John and I were driving by a remote beach around dusk and I didn't see the massive herd of crabs migrating across the road until I had already made speedbumps out of a couple. :-(

Sun Aug 03, 12:41:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home