Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Monday, June 29, 2009

Yokosuka Navy Burger

Have you had a Yokosuka Navy Burger? Recently the Yokosuka City Government has worked to put our little Navy town on the map. The US Navy passed down a recipe to the city who has chosen several restaurants downtown to serve (as one article put it) this delicacy. I have never heard of a burger being described as a delicacy but whatever floats their boat! According to the pamphlet that I picked up at Yokohama Keikyu stop, there are 11 different restaurants in Yokosuka serving up their own style of the Yokosuka Navy Burger. Each establishment puts a little something different on top and a "secret" ingredient to make their burger different.

Other recent additions to the town have been a small Ferry boat tour over by the mall. It looks like the tour includes a cruise around the bay to see all of the Navy ships. (US Navy and the Japanese Defense force ships and subs.) For those wondering, 'Why on earth would I go out of the way to see Yokosuka?' The advertisment also mentions Spasso, Monkey Island (It's one of the few remaining natural islands left off the coast) and Mikasa Park. (Where there is a Japanese battle ship from the Russian war and a fantastic water fountain show). Oh yeah, and we just got a Burger King. (I may be the only one excited about this....)

4 Comments:

Blogger Alisa said...

We recently ate @ Yokosuka Burger (and i was just getting on to write a blog about it)...
Anyways, it was pretty good, although, we did not eat the 'burger'. The salad bar was Yummy... and the kids plate was overpriced @ 800Y, BUT... it was a BIG FULL pate, so i guess not 'overpriced'.
Thanks for sharing a little insite on the history/city!!
Oh, and i am :):) about BK too. We wont have to hit Yokota for BK anymore! :)

Mon Jun 29, 05:08:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Islander Girl said...

OMG, that's too funny! I'm heading back to Yoko next week and I'll have to pick up the pamphlet and try the burgers! LOL! Burger King on base? Wow they rarely have BK on a Naval base, it's usually McDonalds! Yeah, I know there's a McDonalds there, our teacher from Kinnick ran into it way back when...LOL! Ahhh the memories and so excited to visit my home!

Thanks for sharing as always!
Aloha!
Claudette

Sat Jul 04, 09:45:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Claudette,

The BK isn't on base, it's on Blue Street near base, on the way to Yokosuka Chuo station. Enjoy your trip to Yoko... any reason for the trip or just a vacation back to the old stomping ground?

Sat Jul 04, 12:46:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Islander Girl said...

OMG, I totally forgot to look for the burger! UGH! I can't believe that!

I went with my husband who had a brief at his command over there. We were there for 9 days, two of the days we were at the New Sanno (love that place!). I'm hoping to go back at least two more times before my husband gets transferred.

I gotta remember to check out the Burger place. We ate at Pepper Steak (husband's favorite), Mos Burger (my favorite), Yakitori stand, that french fry place across from Saikaiya and a few other places at Daiei.

Boy was it hot and humid, I thought HI is hot but man, I have forgotten how hot and humid Japan can be!!

Miss Yokosuka already and it's only been a week! Husband is going back in Dec, not sure if I'll go but for sure next year.

Thanks for blog, always love visiting and reading about Japan!!

Aloha!

Tue Aug 04, 06:33:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home