Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Japanese Baby Food Update

Thanks Illahee for the input on Japanese jarred baby food! This weekend we all drove up to Gunma prefecture to visit friends and they have a baby as well. Supposedly their baby's daycare pushes not to bring jarred baby food whenever possible because of the preservatives. They suggest mashing it at home. They also say no fruit....here, it's a dessert. I haven't found other brands of baby food besides Kewpie so, I'm going to have to go on a little hunt. I used to mash it myself for Joshua but now, I am a bit lazy and just buy the American Gerber brand at the Commissary. In the states when companies first came out with baby food, they packed them with salt and sugar and preservatives. Customers stopped buying so they changed their recipes to only have water and veggies/fruit. However when it comes to meat jarred food, I'm not sure what the ingredients are. Gerber now has organic options but that can get boring after a while. There are only a few options for organic....again, it gets a little monotonous.

Samuel loves baby senbei. He especially likes the veggie flavor ones. However, anything that he can hold and feel more grownup with he absolutely adores. I will have to try white fish with milk. I gave him small bits of Salmon in mashed rice and he gobbled it up.

I usually feed Sam brown rice cereal mixed with mama milk. Mike's parents just sent Sam a package of Familia Baby Muesli that I used to feed Joshua. I had totally forgotten about feeding that to Joshua when he was little. When I opened the bag it was like a little flood of memories feeding my little blond curly haired Joshua in his highchair in San Diego. I can start giving him that at 9 months. I may see if I can suggest it at the Commissary.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home