Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Friday, July 28, 2006

Where's Mike?

Mike has been in Okinawa for 9 days! That's the longest he's ever been away on business. I know I don't have to much room to gripe seeing as that many of our readers are Navy spouses and can handle 9 days like it was nothin'. However, to me it is a long time. He's returning on Saturday. I don't mind it too much. In fact, the first couple of days were pretty fun. I could use the computer for as long as I wanted, be a total slob, and watch whatever show I wanted on AFN. This also explains why I am dominating the blog space. We decided when we first got here that it would be much more fun to leave both of our blog entries on the same space. We thought it would be interesting to get 2 different points of view on certain subjects and also to document things that the other person might not even think about. Since Mike is returning so soon, this entry may be totally missed in between the shuffle. I'm sure that he'll probably have lots of pictures and experiences to post. However, for now I get to bore you with some of the everyday things in Japan.

I have to rave about my most recent find at the Japanese grocer. When I left San Diego, I was discouraged. I had been spoiled. I was able to walk to my local Whole Foods or Trader Joe's Market and pick up incredibly yummy local plain yogurt. After reading French Women Don't get Fat, I aquired a taste for plain yogurt. My favorite brand was Pavel's. Very much a type of Russian or Turkish yogurt. No high fructose corn syrup, pectin, gelatin or gums allowed!! I'd just add some berries and honey and viola! You could actually call me a yogurt snob to some degree. It was great to have on hand if I needed a quick sauce for beef too. For months in Japan I did without my pure unadulterated yogurt, instead relying on the overly sweetened stuff at the commissary. I almost decided to buy myself a yogurt maker, until I discovered that the Japanese standards for fresh and pure foods extended into their yogurt products and for about 157 yen at Seiyu, I could get a 500 gram tub of Mieji yogurt! Ever since then, my summer breakfasts are filled with pure bliss.

Much of the produce and dairy products in America are no match for their Japanese counterparts. The standards for freshness are much higher here and the typical Japanese consumer is willing to pay more for a higher quality or fresher product. Even if they get less of it... a cardinal sin in America! After all, even at 7-11 here, they check every hour for freshness with their deli products (you read right, every hour). Organic is also starting to really take off.

Dairy products have just recently "caught on" here in the land of the rising sun. Meiji is a huge company that makes many, many products and has also formed alliances with Coca-Cola. Meiji decided to do a joint venture with a French company and, using Hokaido milk, created this mild tasting Bulgarian style yogurt. They make their yogurt with LG21 which is a lactic acid bacteria culture that has been proven in studies to help reduce risks of gastric and duodenal ulcers. Check out this editorial on it: http://www.crisscross.com/jp/feature/987 This is a huge selling point in Japan because of the high percentage of stomach problems. Some believe that the cause of this is because of the high salt content in much of Japanese cuisine and because of all the pickled vegetables that are consumed. Above all, I don't want to demean the traditional Japanese style of eating. They are second in the world for longevity. The Japanese also have one of the lowest obesity rates among 1st world nations. The #1 spot is reserved for their neighbors, the Okinawans (in regards to longevity), who of course are officially (now) part of Japan, but have a very different culture. In fact, the Okinawa Islands weren't really considered "part of Japan" until 1609 (fairly late in Asian history) when the Japanese Satsuma Clan invaded Okinawa, which was then known as the Ryukyu Kingdom. Okinawa became a Prefecture (similar to a state) of Japan in 1879. Then after World War II, the islands were under U.S. control until they were reverted to Japan in 1972.

OK, enough of the history lesson. Needless to say, I try to live by healthy eating and lifestyle habits but I can't resist going to Mickey D's, popping up some "extra butter" flavor microwave popcorn, or chuggin' a Chu-Hi. If you're here, pick up some Mieji yogurt on your way home tonight! It's a tasty, healthy breakfast (add some strawberry jam or honey and fruit). Thank goodness Mike doesn't like yogurt, more for me!

Also fellow cooks, keep my recipe blog in mind when you're looking for something yummy to whip up. I just recently added a recipe for avocado salad.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The TV commercial on Japanese TV for that Bulgarian yoghurt features a very famous sumo wrestler: Kotooshuu. Why a sumo wrestler? Because he is Bulgarian and the first one who made it so high up in the ranks of sumo.

J.

Fri Jul 28, 08:55:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've read that many Japanese believe that yogurt is from Bulgaria. It's origins come from the middle east actually! Because of the language barrier, I know so little about Japanese "pop culture" other than what I observe visually. Very interesting. Thanks for the comment.

Fri Jul 28, 09:20:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Jeff D said...

I'm loading up on this stuff when I get there. I'm not a big fan of just plain yogurt, but I'm all about adding in some fruit (just not strawberries, I know how expensive they are over there)

Fri Jul 28, 10:55:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Islander Girl said...

Hi Nicki! Thanks so much for your response on my blog! Thanks Mike for your response as well! I totally forgot about OPSEC and totally understand! I guess I was referring to the likes of Greenbay Park, my old house...school...but no worries...my friends has been posting them on our HS site: http://yohireddevils.blogspot.com
Thanks so much for writing about your experiences again!!! I truly enjoy your adventures in a foreign place! Plus seeing in the eyese of someone who's new there is a trip!!!! I'm looking forward to adding you to my daily blog readings (^o^). May I add you onto my fave blog readings on my blog?

BTW, I'm also from SD, but currently in the East Coast...one year left here and it's either back to SD, HI or Japan! I can't wait to get outta here! LOL!

Take care and have a great weekend! Oh yeah, can't wait to see the Friendship Day pictures...we used to perform at the Benny Decker every year...I did a page on it on my blog!

Sayonara!
Claudette

Sat Jul 29, 01:46:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not to worry about now liking plain yogurt. They have flavored types too. A lot of plain yogurt comes with sugar packets that you can stir in also if plain yogurt is just too tart for your liking. The Strawberries are very expensive here but very good. Unlike in the states, the strawberry season is in the winter. A popular Christmas gift over here is a Strawberry and Cream cake. Near the end of the season, you can pick up bags of small strawberries (about 2 pints worth) for 150-250 yen. I call them the scraps but they are still great. Much of their produce is more expensive but it usually is in perfect condition and tastes so good. Their melons are about 350-550 yen per melon depending on the time of season. They also use a lot more pesticides here so, wash up before you eat!

Sat Jul 29, 06:36:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oops ment noT liking plain yogurt.

Sat Jul 29, 06:38:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two of my favotite snacks in Japan, though not healthy, are Look Chocolates and Jagobee.

Sun Jul 30, 02:17:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting. I haven't tried those yet. I love the different Kit Kats that come out seasonally and of course Pocky. I tried to look up Jagobee in google images but a Japanese music band just came up. I'll have to look for it at the local grocer. Thank you!

Mon Jul 31, 07:56:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Glitterstim said...

How happy I am to discover your blog!! My sister is married to a Marine and Japan is a possibility for them. She's scared of having to go overseas, but I think reading your blogs will help her feel better, if they are sent there.

Thanks for visiting my blog, too! Take care!

Mon Jul 31, 11:20:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad too! I'd say out of all the places we could go overseas in this day in age, Japan is the best. When we first heard about this opportunity, we were pretty intimidated too. Upon arrival the place is pretty hard to navigate. However, poeple really are extremely helpful. For the most part, it's very American friendly. Which unfortunately, in Europe it's hard to say the same. It's also so safe. I believe it's something like a 10% crime rate. I've seen 6 year olds taking the trains by themselves! Also, check out our links. Random Planets and Square Pegs are also blogs of poeple stationed here in Japan. On base, I have a better support system of Moms than I could ever have in the states. It's very much about helping each other out because no one really has family here. I've met so many wonderful poeple Japanese and American.

Tue Aug 01, 07:25:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Nicki...teach me your ways. I wish I could be so passionate about being healthy!
Dan is gone too right now. I am having a hard time with it this time. New house and all has made it a really hard transition. Glad to hear you are doing well.
I have tried lots of stuff on your recipe site. The kids loved the Tofu fries, I did a variation of your rum cake which I added to my blog too, and I just make the Yakitori (?). SOOOOO good. Keep em coming!!

Wed Aug 02, 01:39:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

I hope Mike gets back soon! Yeah, I know we military spouses have to put up with a lot of absences but no matter how long a spouse is gone and no matter what circumstances (civilian or military) it STILL feels like a long time and I'm sure it feels that way for you too.

Enjoyed the yogurt stuff!

Wed Aug 02, 06:51:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rey- It did feel like a long time. The first couple of days were fun. You know, being a total slob and justifying my junk food diet. But, once the dust settled I was still all by myself with a youngin' He's back now. Got back last weekend.

Kristin-I'm sure that the stress has been through the roof with you guys. Buying a home & having a new baby are both rated among the most stressful situations. The healthy thing started out little by little. Once I got here, I was floored by the healthy lifestyle that most Japanese poeple live by. The portions are so much smaller and the food contains a lot less fat than the "western" diet. Although I don't enjoy all of the Japanese foods, I've been able to encorporate things into our diet that we would normally never eat. (Like sushi rolls and seaweed). Not only the food but the physical activity as well. I'm able to take advantage of the CDC a lot more often. Mike is closer so, Josh and him can have lunch together while I go to the gym for 30 minutes and, the support system in our neighborhood is fabulous. We have a great "baby swapping" network. It's sad to be away family but because all of us women are in the same situation, we "look out for each other"

PS, You's got to give me a call girl!

Wed Aug 02, 10:53:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

9 days is a long time, when you are not used to it. Heck, it can be a long time even for us who are used to their hubbies being gone. I am like you, I enjoy the first bit, not feeling the need to have the house (or myself) in good order. The girls and I can stay in our PJ's most of the day and I don't feel bad. LOL But by the end of a deployment, I am ready to go drag Alan off the ship.
I am trying VERY hard to like yogurt. The only way I can eat it is with fruit...I should try it with a bit of honey too.
I also need to get familiar with the local stores, their items are so much fresher than the store on base.
Your recipes are FANTASTIC!

Thu Aug 03, 04:15:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much for taking a look at my recipes! I've got to take a better look at yours when I have a chance to sit back. I'm actually going to try and make that Avocado Salad tonight. The big things of plain yogurt that you get on base are too tart/cheesy for my taste. The Meiji brand yogurt actually comes with a little sweetener packet that you can stir in. It makes it sweeter but, not as sweet as the pre-flavored kind. My favorite fruit is blueberries to put in. If you're out of fruit, add some strawberry jam! The only thing about Japanese yogurt is that it's whole milk yogurt! :) They don't have low or non-fat. Same with their milk. They do have low-fat just no non-fat.

Fri Aug 04, 12:24:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to find blogs from other military families in Japan! We are on Okinawa but have traveled to Tokyo a couple of times. We enjoy it but, at the same time, miss many conveniences of the states. The whole language- translation situations keep us laughing over here. I can only imagine how we sound, trying to speak our conversational phrases. I bet we get laughed at a lot :o)If you have the Monsters Inc DVD, you have got to watch the part where they are in the sushi restaurant with the captions turned on! I promise the translation will bust your stitches!

Tue Aug 15, 12:42:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home