Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Monday, July 24, 2006

Rebel without a Cause

This is definitely not what I wanted to see in my rear view mirror the other day. Yes, you guessed it. To top off my crummy week, I had my first run-in with the Japanese Police. Totally my fault. Oh how my mother (who works at Department of Motor Vehicles back home) will beam with pride when she reads this story.

As I stated above, last week started out pretty crummy. It wasn't really an official week, but rather an equivalent of 7 days that started on Friday at Chiba Mother Farm when I lost Josh, only to find him joyfully playing at the top of a hill in the farm sprinklers. Squealing with delight, he asked if we could get some ice cream. After I ran up the hill after him in the ruthless heat, I hugged him and of course told him he could have whatever he wanted. I suppose it came with the guilt of losing him and relief of finding him.

The next day, I smash the top of my foot under the leg of our computer chair, crunching the nerves right above my toes and leaving a heart shaped bruise right where my sandals rub against. As if anything else could go wrong...... and, it did.

For several days, I thought that I got away scott-free, forgetting the golden rule about how all bad things happen in life..... they happen in sets of three. I'm going to start this Japanese Police story by making shamelessly lame excuses for myself. It was raining that day. The rainy season it seems has shown up late this year. Disappointing for the public pool across the street, however, very nice for the general public seeing that it cools down what would be the extremely hot months of summer. Anyway, I was driving to base slowly tailing a delivery truck. I couldn't see past him, and trailed him way too long in frustration before thinking to pass him. I finally decided to pass him when we were about to head through a yellow light. It changed to red and I drove right through it. Not an unusual occurrence in this country. Unlike in America, there is something like a 5-10 second delay before the light turns green for oncoming traffic. This in turn leads many drivers to jump red lights (meaning go before the light turns green) and just run right through the ones that just turn red (like I did). Also, the yellow lights are extremely short causing many gaijin to slam on the brakes when a yellow light flashes. So I thought, "this time, when in Rome.... right?" Wrong. No sooner had I driven through the light (relieved that I finally passed the truck) that I heard the sirens and saw the lights. 'Oh gosh, where in the heck to I pull over?', I thought. I was almost to base. I stopped at the next red light with my hazards on. The police officer jumped out of his car and in the best English he could muster said, "Please pull left". I assumed after I made the right turn that I should pull over on the non-busy highway. After pulling over, I parked and left my hazards on. I handed the police officer my Mommy "business" card with my name in katikana and a little slip of paper with my address on it in kanji, which he very much appreciated. He also asked me for my ID and drivers license. He in turn handed me a piece of paper in English with a circled reason as to why he was pulling me over. He was very efficient and considerate; thanking me for providing everything and bowing. Josh, of course, was shrieking in the back, handing me his bowl of carrots, demanding that I take it because he was all done...... I had to tell him, "Wait. Mommy is getting a ticket and not the fun kind like on the train." The only stickler of it all was that I couldn't try to talk or cry my way out of it.

The fine ended up being 9000 yen (about $90.00). I was just praying that no one that I know drove by. After all was done and the police officer requested that I please go ahead (he also double checked to make sure he gave me my military ID card back), I had to smile at the whole experience. Even though I wasn't proud of myself, I couldn't help but think.... wow, how many gaijin can say they got a traffic ticket in Japan? Once I got on base, I stopped by Mike's work (also where SushiJeff works) to do the walk of shame. Mike went to the post office the next day to pay the fine and all was back to normal in the world. Jeff explained that certain times during the year, the police frequent places right outside of base to catch some "Y" plates (foreign driver plates). My lesson was learned..... don't run red lights near base during the summer. Just kiddin', Mom!

10 Comments:

Blogger Jeff D said...

Part of me wants to post a picture of Martin from the Simpsons saying "HA-HA!"

That same part of me knows that the second I do so I'm getting pulled over for some inane traffic violation myself, so I'm going to refrain.

Mon Jul 24, 10:45:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

I got one too!!!!! You're not ALONE in the walk of shame, my fine friend -- I got one last year.

I was just as confused and "weirded out" because I got stopped by the guys in the Power Rangers Powder Blue Motorcycle suits (I was trying to cry for some drama but ended up stifling laughter through the whole encounter).

It made fun blog material for me though, and your experience was priceless as well! I hope the Post Office encounter went alright....mine was a model of efficiency. I took a number to sit down and wait; the SECOND I sat down they called my number, I paid my fine (shame!!) and ducked out like I was drunkenly leaving a bar at 9 a.m.

You are the new Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney and you should be proud, motor mama!

Tue Jul 25, 07:04:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Aw....bummer. I never had a ticket in my life until last year. I turned right at a light that said no right turn 7am-9am. I forgot and got a ticket. It was 8:50am. I cried and cried until I got home to tell Dan. So much for a perfect record.
Sorry about the scare with Josh. I have had that happen too many times.

Tue Jul 25, 07:29:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the posts! The funny thing about it was that I was less scared and nervous than I would have been in the states. Japanese police (atleast with my encounters) are extremely courtious. They act as though they are providing a service at a store for a customer. How many stateside police officers say, "thank you very much" after giving out a ticket? I'm sure that they are tough when they need to be but, the rest of the time, they smile and bow! Not the ego like with American cops although I hold nothing against our boys in blue. Just different I suppose. I would have been a crying mess had it been in the states. (and I was when I got a speeding ticket a few years ago and, when one brought me home when I was 16 for "racing" in a residential area Anything not to get grounded!) I just had to laugh when it happened here. I am however much more cautious and have gone back to my gaijin ways of stopping at a yellow!

Tue Jul 25, 07:39:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that you've had a bad week! I know how that can be! I'm glad that everything worked out OK with your ticket and that you are able to look back on it with a giggle or two!

Thu Jul 27, 07:36:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, totally an experience to laugh at. It was just one of those weeks. With the bad came the good though. I had an opportunity to do a ladies night out and experienced some Yokosuka night life. Very fun.

Fri Jul 28, 01:05:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Islander Girl said...

Hi there! You don't know me, but I did a search on Yokosuka, Japan and found your blog! I was raised there, military brat...lived there for 10 years...loved every bit of it. I'm so glad you're writing about your experiences while living in Japan...wish back then I would of thought of doing it...then again i was there when I was 4 - 14...so at that time I would of thought writing was lameo!!! Anyhow, thanks for bringing back a bit of Japan to me! I enjoy your stories and love seeing your photographs! I too love taking picutres also! I hope to go back there one day...thank goodness I married a Navy Man so our chances are highly likely...

I was wondering if it's not asking too much, especially since you don't know me...but I would love to see pictures of the base...my old stompin' grounds... I have some friends that are stationed there and I some that work in housing...LOL...anyhow, I've asked them to take some pics, but they're just snap shots and would love to see it through your photographic eye! No pressure...just if you do...would love to see them!

I have started a blog and am spearheading our YOHI reunion onboard the USS MIDWAY next year...we have a website and you can find that via my username...

Enjoy Japan, it has so much to offer and keep up the good work on your blog!!!! Thanks again!

Claudette

Fri Jul 28, 01:30:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Claudette,

Thanks for posting a comment! We'll have to do a search for your website, too.

I've thought a lot about posting pics of the base, but I've been hesitant to for two reasons. First, I have always considered that our blog was about our experiences in Japan, and for some reason being on base doesn't feel much like "Japan" to me... probably because I work there... so I guess I was unsure whether I could find the right inspiration for shooting pictures of such an Americanized base. Second, and more importantly, with all that is going on in the world, the base has requested that DoD personnel refrain from posting pictures and information from the base that could be used by terrorists and other bad people.

Every once in a while, we have posted pictures from certain on-base festivals and activities that we have attended. In fact, "Friendship Day" is coming up soon on base and I hope to attend with camera in hand. So keep posted and we'll see what we can do to get you some pictures to help you reminisce.

-Mike

Fri Jul 28, 05:00:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a pretty horrid week. If it's any consolation, I am a unintentional collector of foreign traffic cautions - it's perhaps as well I didn't drive on our recent visit to Japan! But from Chile to Cuba to Morocco to Spain, I have found traffic police courteous and considerate. Astonishingly, I have never been caught in the UK, nor the US. I am now hoping to give up my life of (unintentional - honest!) crime.

Best wishes,
Wembley

Sun Jul 30, 06:00:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I forgot my speeding rap in Romania as well!

A (really) very law abiding - but not very good at spotting foreign traffic signs
Wembley

Sun Jul 30, 06:02:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home