Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Friday, July 07, 2006

Oh Brother!

Today was a day I decided to be a little "hard core" at the gym. Mike and I have started this great routine of "Daddy Lunch Day", where Mike will watch Josh during his lunch hour while I pump some iron at the gym. Today during my jog and weight lifting, I decided to listen to some Rise Against. Yes, Rise Against as in punk music. I believe I'm just about the only Mommy out there listening to some kick butt punk. It's my dirty little secret and the only thing that brings out my demons and gets me running. Along with my music choice, I decided to bring out my צה"ל Tsahal or Israeli Defense Force T-Shirt. It has those tough green and yellow army colors and it's controversial. Hey, I was in the mood!

In 1995, I was....gulp, 15. I'm Jewish and had just been confirmed in my religion. Not only was it a chance to celebrate, but it was my chance (just like every other Jewish 15 year old in the nation) to take a 5 1/2 week trip to Israel. I have so many memories from that great time in my life. I got to see so many things: Sunrise at Mt. Masada, the Wailing Wall, the Dead Sea Scrolls, swimming in the Red Sea, swimming in the Dead Sea, staying up late on some desert kibbutz feasting on watermelon and gazing at the stars, riding camels with Bedowins (a nomadic desert people that span all over the African and Arab world), accidentally walking out onto the army's shooting range only to be chased down by a humvee loaded full of soldiers and driven off to safety.....ah yes, so many memories (gosh we were stupid kids).

Many of our readers are parents, and now looking back as a parent myself, I couldn't even tell you how I could let my son travel to such a volatile area. Back then, I admit it was a little safer; and I mean "a little" as in miniscule amounts. While we were there, there were no bombings (Only the one at the Atlanta Olympics back home!) and though there were armed soldiers hanging out in town, I had never felt safer. It was the first time that I had been that far away from home and it was tough. After all I was 15 and was living in a bubble where I was a big fish in a little pond. I had known most of my friends since kindergarten. In Israel, I was placed in a situation where I only new several other kids and the rest of them were all from other places: New York, Los Angeles, Texas, Kentucky, etc. Not only that, but we were thousands of miles from home. I was no longer a big fish in a little pond. The only thing that we really had in common was our age and our religion. It was intimidating and during the first week there, I cried and cried. After all, how could my parents do this to me! I mean, I had a life (and boyfriend) back home. As the weeks went by, I met some great poeple and had some once-in-a-lifetime experiences. It changed me for the better and I came home a more mature 15 year old. I was much more self-confident & self-reliant.

The past 11 years have gone by quickly and since then, I ran off to San Diego when I was 19 and just recently ran off to Japan! I know that I have become a different woman than I would have if I had never left home. I'm doing things now that in my wildest dreams I wouldn't have imagined for myself. There comes a sense of self-accomplishment with that.

The reason I'm going on and on about this is because my favorite 16 year old brother is hopping on that horse and taking the first steps towards applying for college (reluctantly I might add). In fact, my mother just forcefully enrolled him into a Programming and Robotics Summer Camp at Stanford. He hasn't traveled much. His confirmation trip to Israel was cancelled because it was believed to be too dangerous that year. He's had some minor medical setbacks in his young life too. He's incredibly intelligent & very into computers & engineering. When he was 3 years old I can remember him sitting in his room amongst a pile of wooden train tracks for hours building winding passageways for his favorite trains. He has so much potential and I'm afraid he'll never be able to give it a test drive because of that same feeling of intimitation and fear that I had at his age. He has absolutely no will to want to leave home. So I say to you, oh Brother of mine, go for the gold. Although it doesn't seem like it, you are on the road to something great. You'll hit some obstacles along the way, but it will make you stronger. You just have to go outside the box and dream big.



These pictures are lame, I know. They were from a 15 year old girl! From top to bottom: (1) Me licking Kool-aid mix from the package because we had to flavor the desalted drinking water from the ocean. (2) Me getting on a grumpy camel. (3) Me hanging off of the cannon on a retired tank. (4) Sunrise on top of Mt. Masada.

14 Comments:

Blogger ReyLynda said...

Wow, the Kool-Aid shot is totally YOU! That look hasn't changed a bit!

Thanks for this awesome look into your history, what an amazing adventure you had (and are still having) with your wonderful life.

Glad to hear that you're totally pumped to hit the gym -- you're an inspiration to Mommies everywhere!

Fri Jul 07, 10:55:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Jeff D said...

The school I'm at (Brandeis) is predominantly Jewish. Not so much in the biz-school, but the tribe is well represented. Almost all of the Jewish people I hang out with made that exact same trip. Heck my friend Matt was probably there right about the same time you were. :)

School starts at Waseda Sept. 21st. I can't wait!

Oh, and a little taste of home for y'all:

http://bostonwolf.smugmug.com/gallery/1639738

Some distinctly average photos of Boston's 4th of July fireworks.

Some video will be posted to google in the very near future as well.

And thank you for shaming me about my slackness in working out. If you can take care of a youngster and still get in good workouts, there is no reason I can't!

Jeff

Sat Jul 08, 12:07:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's very cool that your hangin out with a Jew Crew....it was really a fun trip. Thanks for the link.

It's my addictive personality that's coming out in me. Before I had Josh, I was a drinker/partier/smoker. When I found out I was pregnant that all stopped. We do go to the accasional cocktail party but no more of the San Diego keggers that I was attending. So, if all my vices are gone, I have to pick up something to be addicted to and running is proving to be a healthy alternative. It really is hard to sit still in this country when you see 60-70 year old people running at 5:00AM on a cold December morning. (When I'm still snoozing)Plus, I want to be here and healthy when we have grandkids! :)

Sat Jul 08, 07:58:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Parties? I remember parties....I think. Man I feel old.

I always wanted to go to Israel. Sometime in my life I hope that I get to go.

Sat Jul 08, 08:17:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know that it will be hard to believe for our kids that we were actually "cool" (in our own way)

Yes, with the latest nastiness going on in Israel, it looks pretty bleak. They do have little spirts of peace. We didn't go to Bethleham or Nathereth. (SP?) #1 because we were Jewish and #2 It was an EXTREMELY dangerous place to be for us to be. I suppose it's like being in South Central LA but with that whole bomb threat thing. It is a different sort of fear. Different in the sense that they can let their kids hang out all night with friends......no real drug worries, kidnapping, rapes, etc. (like that states) but everytime a person might step on a bus or into a major city they constantly have a fear of "could someone try to make a statement today and decide to bomb us?" It's definitely scary and sad.

Sat Jul 08, 09:21:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Jeff D said...

Nicki,

We'll have to see if we can arrange a weekend (or just a Saturday) up in Tokyo for you and Mike once I get there.

I'm still trying to live the healthy lifestyle and party as well. Admittedly, with mixed success.

Sun Jul 09, 04:49:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mike and I both weigh less than what we were before Josh. Mike went off drinking while I was pregnant and lost some weight. But, when he was single, he was in super shape. His friends did a lot in their free time. He actually did the Rock and Roll marathon in San Diego, hiked up and down the Grand Canyon & did half dome in Yosemite. He was friends with a guy from Haro Bikes and did a lot of moutain biking too. Two years after baby, he's starting to get back into the swing of things. Just yesterday he did Fuji. It takes a long time to get back on the horse sometimes. You'll get there! We aren't eating as well as we should be either. It's so easy just to go to base sometimes and pick up some Taco Bell. Yes, we'll have to find a time to meet up in Tokyo.

Sun Jul 09, 07:00:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the photos! I can totally understand where you are coming from. I was a big fish in a small pond when I lived in Oregon, but got thrown into the ocean once we moved to California and have just been swimming further out to sea ever since! LOL

You are doing a great job and staying positive. You've gone through a lot of changes, and you should be really proud of yourself!

I'm sure your brother will come around. He may just be blooming a little late, but he'll find his way!

Mon Jul 10, 08:29:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the incouragement. I have my days, like everyone here I suppose. Unless your Mr. Rogers, it's hard to stay possitive all the time. I guess it's like what you said on your webpage...it must be the weather. I hope that my brother does. Some people I admit are homebodies and it works well for them. I'd just hate for him to never try out "being a gypsy" or, atleast going outside of the comfort zone.

Wed Jul 12, 09:34:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicki,

I most of all appreciated your story. I guess shoving your kids out into the world pays off (at least sometimes). I thought I would let you know that the kids in David's confirmation class are over in Israel right now. After the bombing in Haifa, it has been pretty scary. One parent elected to bring his child home. It looks like the others are doing just fine, however, and hanging out near the Negev and Jerusalem in the southern part of Israel. We all pray they'll come home safe and with lots of experiences like yours!!!

Love You

Sat Jul 15, 01:20:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe they've hit Haifa. What a shame. Haifa was one of my most favorite parts of the trip. It is so sad what's happening there. There are so many significant things to so many religions there and it is such a beautiful place. So sad that most people are able to visit because of the safety problems.

Sun Jul 16, 08:52:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry I meant most poeple aren't able to visit because of the safety problems.

Mon Jul 17, 11:26:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Jeff D said...

Nicki,

I vaguely remember what it was like to be in shape. I actually ran the Boston Marathon back in 2000 (a little 30th birthday present to myself) but slowly but surely let that level of fitness slip away. I want to get back to the point where I can run five miles and not worry about having a coronary before I finish it.

I'm doing about 45min-1hr of cardio in the gym right now and am going to start running again this week. Baby steps!

Tue Jul 18, 04:47:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is the country that inspires good health!

Tue Jul 18, 09:15:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home