Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Monday, June 26, 2006

Playing Catch-up

This has been one of the drier rainy seasons in recent memory for most people here in Yokosuka. Mother Nature has been kind enough to keep most of the weekends fairly dry, which has aided Nicki, Josh and I in getting outdoors from sunrise to sunset during the weekends. We spent much of this weekend jogging on the boardwalk, hiking in nearby Kannonzaki Park, and doing all kinds of fun things along the way. We are getting the occasional storm, however, and even tonight we're in the midst of what I like to call a San Diego rainstorm, which is really much more like a fine mist that lingers like a thick blanket over the Kanto Plain. Folks in the South, where I grew up, would probably just equate it to "Summertime Humidity".

I'm still playing catch-up with the pictures that we took while my folks were in town last month, so you'll have to bear with us for a bit longer until we can get to our more recent pictures. I've just finished updating some shots that Nicki took of Josh and my folks at Tokyo Disney on May 22; and also some pics that I took while acting as a tour guide for my folks while touring the Hase section of Kamakura. Those shots are of the Great Buddha and Hase-dera and its beautiful gardens. Feel free to check out all the shots in our Gallery, dated 06/26/2006.

In unrelated news, with the World Cup 2006 underway in Germany, it looks like the USA and Japan bought some early tickets home. Without my two home countries to cheer for, it looks like I'm going to focus most of my attention on Ghana, who surprised everyone in Group E (including the Czechs and the US) by landing a spot in the Round of 16. They face a tough road ahead, though, having to compete against Brazil in their next match. Go Black Stars!

Also, congrats to our occasional blog reader and commentor, Wembly, who resides in England. His English team just defeated Ecuador in a 1-0 match that came down to a penalty shot on goal. It's been fun watching the limited opportunities that I've had to see the World Cup. The games are all televised here, but because of the time difference I have found myself staying up until 01:00am watching games on a work night.

It's been fun...

P.S. (Nicki): A little plug for my recipe site. Check out my most recent post....Summer Shrimp Salad. This recipe has a creative combination that I never would have thought of on my own. A big hit with Mike and super easy. (No cooking required!)

4 Comments:

Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Loving all the pics! It has been hotter than the blazes here! And it is only June. Does not bode well for August and Sept.

Mmm...a new recipe to try.

Tue Jun 27, 08:30:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

Beautiful photos, again and again!

Also, congratulatons to Wembly on the Ecuador defeat!

For Nicki: I just bought a new PDA and your Rum Cake recipe was the first word document I loaded onto it. Great stuff!

Tue Jun 27, 09:28:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, we're not singing any more. Apologies to all who had to endure Wayne Rooney's display of ill-temper.

Still it's been a great World Cup, good displays of football, including from the US and Japan. Looking forward to the few remaining matches.

Summer has arrived here too, glad you are enjoying yours. Thanks for remembering us.

Wembley Stadium is of course The Home of football..

Sun Jul 02, 05:42:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Anonymous (is that you, Wembly?),

On Saturday night, I found myself suffering from a case of insomnia and stayed awake until nearly 3:00AM watching the match between Portugal and England.

Under the circumstances, considering Beckham's injury-related departure and Rooney's red card, England held its head high through both overtime periods and into the PK round.

Credit to the Portugese goalkeeper for such brilliant hand-eye coordination during the penalty kick round. It's almost as though he had ESP and knew where each shot was heading.

Cheers,
Mike

Mon Jul 03, 08:34:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home