Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Year of the Dog

Happy New Year to all of our Chinese friends out there and welcome to the Year of the Dog, which happens to be my dad's Chinese year sign. Outside of China, what better place is there to go on Chinese New Year than Chinatown in Yokohama? Today, we went up to Chinatown with our friends, Andy and Maggie.

Today is New Year's Day, so we think we may have actually missed some of the festivities that occur on New Year's Eve, but we had a good time none-the-less. We were surprised that the crowds were smaller than we expected, but there were still quite a few people out and about, walking the streets of Chinatown, eating gyoza and other street vendor creations, and watching the occasional street performer. We got a few pictures of a guy doing a pretty good knife-juggling show. Afterwards, we headed towards the local temple and got a few pictures of people lighting incense and wishing for good health and prosperity in the new year.

Pictures from our day of fun are up in our Gallery under the date 01/29/2006, but here's one that I tweaked in Photoshop for the fun of it. Enjoy!

3 Comments:

Blogger ReyLynda said...

Que Bella! What a beautiful Photoshop job, looks like it could be the new poster for C-Town!

Mon Jan 30, 02:39:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger ザック said...

I wish I'd had seen you guys there, 'cause I was in Yokohama Chinatown also! I hope you had fun. It all kinda felt like a tourist trap to me though, like really fake. I didn't see many Chinese people there. It was still fun and interesting though. We went into the Daisekai, or the museum anyway (even though that means "big world"). They had good food. Oh, and I felt I needed to say this, I guess to right the wrongs, but I've always heard military people call your town "yokewska" for reasons unknown. I'm sure you already know by now, but it's definitely "yokosuka" like it would be written out in hiragana in Japanese. ANYWHO, I'm going to Kamakura tentatively weekend-after-next. If you peeps are free sometime, it'd be sweet to meet you somewheres. I'm quite out of the way and in a boring place, so of course Yokohama would be more fun. I DO live in Tokyo and can get around decently on my Japanese, so if there's anything interesting you have in mind, I might be able to help. Keep up the good photo work and website! (I also finally updated, haha)

Wed Feb 01, 12:30:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rey, maybe I can market the photo to someone in Yokohama for next year's Chinese New Year... but I doubt it. :)

Zack, thanks for writing in. I actually read a good article about the pronunciation of Yokosuka when we moved here. Gaijin have pronounced it "Yo-ko-ska", "Yo-kew-ska", "Yo-kaws-ka", amongst other fun ways. Although it's pronounced phonetically, because a lot of Japanese shorten the "u" sound in certain words, like "desu", frequently it does sound like they are saying "Yokoska".

Also, I appreciate the offer to hang out and use your Japanese skills sometime. We haven't seen much of Tokyo yet, so I'd love to meet up there sometime, too, if you could recommend some fun places to see and things to do.

Mike

Wed Feb 01, 02:41:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home