Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Monday, January 09, 2006

Kamakura (Mike)

Nicki had her chance to explain the delicious side of Kamakura over the weekend, now I figured I'd add my own tasty version. I have to agree, though, the grape treats at Hachimangu Shrine are incredible.

My goal for leaving the warm confines of home on such a cold day, though, was to take photos with the new 50mm lens that came in the mail last week. I got some great action shots along the pedestrian friendly street that leads to Hachimangu, as well as quite a few great shots on the shrine grounds. We were fortunate, because of New Year's there were decorations all around and the crowd was friendly. Also, I found out that today is Coming of Age Day, a Japanese National Holiday, which probably helped add to the crowd. Coming of Age Day is significant to 20 year olds in Japan, because it's the day when one becomes a legal adult and is able to drink, smoke, and do all kinds of fun adult things without having the Japanese police on alert.

The streets were very active, as Nicki mentioned, with vendors along both sides of the streets selling everything from potato ice cream to mochi, and from sushi to sausage. The lines for free samples were long, but the rest of the food wasn't too expensive, so we took advantage whenever we saw something tempting. At the sausage stand, the vendor got a kick out of my ordering technique. I asked for "Ni", which is the number "2", and pointed at a sausage. The problem is that the Japanese use quite a few different words for different counting situations, so I really wasn't using correct Japanese in my request. But she got a good laugh and then asked me something in Japanese, which she quickly figured out I didn't understand, because then she said "spicy or regular". Knowing that Japanese "spicy" is generally fairly tame, I went with spicy. Turns out that Josh liked the sausage a lot, so I had to go back and order another. This made the vendor laugh even more, because when I got back, I still used the same technique, but said "Ichi" (the number 1) then "spicy".

On the shrine grounds, we were amazed to see that the ponds had a thin layer of ice on them. I knew it was cold over the weekend, but I didn't think it was that cold! Quite a few decorations, flags, and paper prayer notes decorated the trees, grounds, and buildings. We even caught a group of four men dressed up in traditional warrior outfits, which I was lucky enough to photograph because Nicki hollered to me as they were passing by.

All in all it was a great time.

In other news, Nicki and I are ever so much warmer tonight. Laura and Louis sent us a Hanukkah package that arrived a few days past the end of the holiday (from the writing on the box, it looks like it may have been shipped several places before it got to us), but it was filled with goodies and clothing to help keep us warm in our house. This is a good thing, and is received with many thanks, considering that our most recent electric bill was over 35,000 Yen (about $300 US), and I can almost guarantee that 90% of the cost was attributed to our electric heaters and our precious kotatsu.

I've posted several pictures here, but there are other great ones in the Gallery under today's date, 01/09/2006. Off to bed now, goodnight!

4 Comments:

Blogger ReyLynda said...

Beautiful photos! I loved the B & W with the adorable little girl in the pink kimono. My husband Rich and I were just there recently, and took our motorcycle up through the roads there...unfortunately it RAINED making it a soggy ride on the way home (a nice adventure). The train is definitely the way to go in this chilly weather...glad you two enjoyed the last of New Year's there!

Tue Jan 10, 09:52:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

It was a lot of fun! There were tons of people but it worked out. Mike does a great job at motivating me to brave the weather and get my butt out there!

Tue Jan 10, 01:35:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Mike,

I noticed in your pictures of Kamakura that there were little pieces of white paper wrapped around/tied to the trees. Do you know what they were there for? I am assuming something to do with the Coming of Age day celebration?
On a side note, I got your e-mail and will respond more with our travel plans in the next few weeks.

Cassie

Thu Jan 12, 05:56:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Cassie,

Those little pieces of paper tied to the tree branches are hand-written prayers, to the best of my knowledge. I think it actually may have been New Year's related - people writing wishes/prayers for the upcoming Year of the Dog. Some are occasionally written using romaji (Western-style letters) or even English, so it's neat to read what people have written when we can. Some are about universal goals like world peace, some are about personal wishes, like money or toys.

-Mike

Thu Jan 12, 06:53:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home