Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Friday, January 06, 2006

Meeting New Friends (Nicki)

I've noticed that it's been a while since I've posted something. So, I thought I should give it a go. I see from Mike's most recent post that he is reliving his NC State Alumni days. Mike used to be the NC State Alumni President for the San Diego chapter and after every NC State Football or Basketball game, he would send out an email to all of his fellow alumni recapping the game for everyone who was unable to catch it. He does a great job and he had a strong fan base back in San Diego.

We haven't had to many adventures lately, mostly because of the cold. It actually snowed here yesterday. A light dusting but it wasn't enough to stick. However, I've never lived anywhere where it snows! I've been busy trying to meet new people and my search seems to be going successfully. There are a ton of resources and activities to meet folks on base and I've really been taking advantage of them. Today I met 2 really great Moms over at Starbucks for coffee. I've tried to get out for coffee every Friday. Josh tags along and I bring a little case full of Thomas the Train& Friends that he can play with. We (Josh and I) have in depth discussions about Thomas and his friends (ie: "the color of the trains, how many wheels they have and what type of engines they are.") I get a childrens hot chocolate for him and we have a great time. It really gives me an opportunity to relax. Sometimes there is a group that meets there around the time that I try to make it there. Unfortunately, the first two times I attended, it didn't really work out and no one really showed. This time, there were 2 Moms that showed and it was great to finally broaden my horizons and discuss other topics besides Thomas the Train!

Besides Starbucks, I've also been trying to motivate myself to work out and get to the gym at least twice a week. I may have met a work out buddy who is training for a half marathon. This is definitely some motivation to get my butt in gear. We met the other day and had a great time chatting and pumpin' some iron at the same time. Hope to do it again.

All and all, my days haven't been too earth shattering but at the same time it's been great. I'm starting to get back to a semi-routine and at the same time experiencing little new things everyday. I'm looking forward to Springtime when people start to come out of hibernation.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you had connections to N.C. I live in Locust, N.C. It is a little outside of Charlotte. My next door neighbor has a daughtert who is a Sophmore at N.C. State. One of my favorite memories is going to the N.C. State campus when they won the Final Four. Were you there?
David
nnnsurrender@hotmail.com.

Mon Jan 09, 10:18:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

David,

I actually still consider NC my home, though I've never officially been a resident. I grew up in VA then went down to Raleigh for college in 1994. I made a lot of close friends there and try to get back as much as possible, though the commute from Yokosuka may make that rough for the next few years. Eventually, though, I would love to have a home back in that area of the country.

Unfortunately, I wasn't there the last time that the Pack made it to the Final Four, but I'm hoping that we can bounce back from this weekend's UNC loss and try to push our way to the Final 4 this season. :) It may be my only time to watch the Pack on television.

Take care,
Mike

Tue Jan 10, 06:40:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home