Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Yokohama Mama (Nicki)

Ok, the title is just to get attention. It does relate to my weekend adventure with the ladies. Since, I've been here in Yokosuka, I've met a great group of friends. One of them, Aime is the leader of a group for military spouses. Her good friend ReyLynda also helps out with the group. This group also branches out to me as I'm a spouse for someone who works for the Navy. This weekend Aime put together a Train Day. It was a day trip designed for spouses who haven't had the chance to take the train route to the other 2 Navy bases close by. After learning the routes, we stopped for lunch & coffee. I also asked a new friend, Maggie, to join us on our adventure.

We were given a quick tutorial on how the ordering machine works at a Ramen restaurant. I had been looking forword to trying this. Basically, it's a machine outside of a restaurant. Before ordering, I deposit my money, choose what I want from the menu, and push the coinsiding button. I'm then given a ticket. From that point, I go into the Restaurant, hand the nice woman behind the counter my ticket, and in a matter of 30 seconds to a minute, I've got fresh hot Ramen, Curry, or what ever I've ordered right there on the counter for me.

From lunch & coffee, we ventured a couple more stops to Chinatown in Yokohama. Luckily, this was Aime and Rey's territory, so they showed us all of the fun shops that they frequent. It was great to go to Chinatown this time around with a bunch of women. The best was just being able to mosey around looking at everything. Because it was a Monday, most folks were at work so the crowds were minimal.

Along with showing us the base routes and the route to Chinatown, Aime and Rey also introduced us/me to a lot of other food & drink items that we/I hadn't tried yet or even heard of yet.

Speaking of food, I thought that I would put a small plug in for my new little recipe site that I've been working on. I love to cook which keeps my family pretty happy! This is as much a personal reference as it is for others to look at. Most of the recipes are those that I've picked up from my cookbooks or from magazines. I've figured out that it's much easier to blog it than it is to keep track of magazine cut outs. Right now, I've been going through a Nigella Lawson stage. But, things will get more interesting soon as I'm going to be working on cooking traditional Japanese. Wish me luck!

[Edit by Mike - for future reference, the recipe blog is also under our Links and is called Nicki's Kitchen]

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you try gyoza while in Chinatown?
David

Tue Jan 17, 11:29:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

No, I didn't try gyoza. I've just done gyoza while in Yokosuka. Do they do it Chinese Style?

Wed Jan 18, 07:49:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

That sounds like a great group. Enjoy it. Wives clubs can be a tough crown sometimes. I am glad you are meeting new friends - even though I miss you! And doing such fun stuff!!

Wed Jan 18, 09:14:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been having a great time. I met all different types of people here but these gals seem to be the most adventurous so far. I miss you too. I wish so much that I could be there with you guys!

Wed Jan 18, 02:25:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gyoza is a Chinese dish. I love it anytime but it is best when I go to Chinatown in Kobe. The best food combination ever, gyoza and beer. Try it.
David

Wed Jan 18, 10:05:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks David,

I grew up in Northern California where Gyoza and beer is a popular treat! Very hight population of Japanese and Chinese. According to my Japanese and Chinese friends in America, there was always a difference between Chinese Gyoza (or Potstickers) and Japanese Gyoza. It may be different here in Japan though. My first job was at a Japanese restaurant and they served Gyoza. Funny, I had never remembered that my first job was at a Japanese restaurant until now. (I was the only white girl there. They affectionately referred to me as Nicole-jan as I was only 15 years old.) It's strange how things recycle themselves in our lives. I still haven't had Gyoza and Sapporo yet! Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, the ladies just introduced me to Chu-hi recently....that's trouble. Nicki

Thu Jan 19, 07:30:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

Nicki - Glad that you could join our group of adventurers! It really broadens our horizons as well to have your company, and there's nothing tougher than feeling new and a little alone in a new country. Brava for stepping out! Look forward to getting more cooking tips -- your recipe link was spectacular!

Fri Jan 20, 08:41:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for taking a look at my little link. Mike had threatened to brag about it if I didn't say anything. So, I had to mention it! Yokohama was so much fun. I can't wait to do another one!

Fri Jan 20, 03:05:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicki, what a great idea for sharing recipes. Barbara

Sat Jan 21, 03:47:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicki- I'm so glad you were able to make it out with us last week! I had a great time with "the ladies" and look forward to getting together again soon!
I think we need to go on a Chu-hi tasting spree!! Woohoo!

Tue Jan 24, 08:01:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home