Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Sunday, January 22, 2006

New Experiences in Japan

It's not very often in life that we experience things that would be completely normal in life as we know it, but unexpected when we are thrown into an entirely different place. Such was the case this weekend, not once, but twice.

First, I got an email at work on Friday afternoon letting me know that there was a chance of snow in Yokosuka. I knew that it snowed in Japan... there are mountains everywhere in this country, the temperature drops below freezing, and precipitation falls on a regular enough schedule that it was bound to occur. But for some reason, I just didn't believe that we'd actually see much snow. As it turns out, we woke up on Saturday morning to the sight of snowflakes falling from the heavens towards our little section of the Kanto Plain. The snow continued all day, but for some reason we saw no accumulation around our house. We decided to brave the rough weather and head into base, because (1) Nicki has never lived (or driven) in a place where snow actually falls, (2) we were getting cabin fever with little to do in our house and wanted to get out, and most importantly (3) we wanted to find a place that had insulation and heat so that we could keep warm.

During our drive to base, we noticed quite a few cars covered... and I mean covered... in snow, but we couldn't understand why because we didn't even have to scrape snow or ice off our windshield before driving. By the time we drove the 2 to 3 miles to base, we figured out why. The snow was accumulating everywhere! It was very pretty sight to see the blanket of pure white snow covering the buildings, trees, and sidewalks. It was also nice to enjoy the view from our heated car and the heated restaurant where we had lunch. But for some reason, it just didn't seem real to me, perhaps because I spent my previous eight winters in San Diego, where the average temperature was a bone-chilling 55 degrees Fahrenheit (approximately 13 degrees Celcius for all the non-US readers out there).

My second new experience occurred today - a Sunday afternoon. I experienced, yet again, something that I would not even think twice about in the States, but it caught me completely by surprise here. Our doorbell rang in the early afternoon, which is atypical because we rarely receive visitors at this point. So I checked it out and as I opened the door, I saw a very nicely dressed Japanese man carrying a small stack of papers. I motioned for him to enter our front gate and he thanked me in very good English. As it turns out, he was with the Jehovah's Witness religious organization. My point here isn't to speak one way or another about any particular religions, but I found it quite unexpected and peculiar to see a Japanese man doing Jehovah's Witness missionary work on my front doorstep in Yokosuka, Japan. The man was very polite and well-versed in the English language, so we talked for a few minutes before he finally continued along his way.

Anyway, just something I thought I would share because it never would have occured to me that I would experience snow and a Jehovah's Witness missionary in my neighborhood in the same weekend.

Go Carolina Panthers! (because they're from a fine state)
Go Pittsburgh Steelers! (because their coach, Bill Cowher, is a fellow NC State University alumnus)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agood friend of mine that lives in Kyoto is from Seattle. Since I am from N.C. you know there was going to be a bet. The only catch is that if I win, I have to go to Kyoto to get my prize. Howeever, that is not a problem because I was planning a visit in April or May. Maybe you and your faimily and Jeff could visit. If you haven'r seen Kyoto, you have not seen true Japan.
David

Mon Jan 23, 03:01:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

Oh my goodness! I was wondering if Jehovah's Witness was a factor here on the Kanto Plain, and you just answered my question! What a unique experience.

Rich and I were also dumbfounded by the snow this weekend. This ex-Sandiegan had absolutely no idea it had snowed until the blinds where opened Saturday morning.

You have a great eye for photos, I hope you can capture some of it for your gallery!

Mon Jan 23, 09:42:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

You are so lucky. I would LOVE some snow. It is so dang hot here all the time. 80 degrees at Christmas for goodness sake. Would love to see some pics.

Tue Jan 24, 04:07:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jehovah's Witness and snow all in the same day- sounds like the stars were aligned pretty funny this weekend! LOL
I hope you guys are staying warm! Lucky for us, the heaters in Negishi are keeping us warm and toasty despite the chilly winter weather!

Tue Jan 24, 08:12:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

The snow was OK. But, I would take San Diego weather over this any day of the week! As I drank my coffee, I thought of the Starbucks mug in SD that I almost bought. It was a San Diego mug with a view of the Sky line. On the inside it sad 72 degrees and sunny. Ah, what I wouldn't give for that mug in the morning just so I could fantasize! Yeah, the Johovah's Witness thing was the most random thing. I would have never thought!

Tue Jan 24, 12:35:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

That last comment was from Nicki... thought I'd get in my 2 cents, too.

David, there's a chance we may be heading towards Kyoto (our first trip) sometime in May. Nothing is planned yet, but my folks may be heading into town around then and my dad is really excited about seeing Kyoto (as am I).

Reylynda, thanks for the compliment about my eye for photos. Unfortunately, I didn't shoot any of the snow. I'm hoping for one more good storm with accumulation so that I can get pictures. This one caught me a little off guard.

Kristin, I'm with Nicki and I'd love some San Diego weather at this point, too... if only for a day.

Aime, we're pretty excited because our neighbors brought over a toyu (kerosene) heater for us to try out and it's keeping us toasty now too.

Mike

Tue Jan 24, 07:30:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS IS SIGAPOLE COOKING PAGE
http://www.nikikitchen.com/tea_angie.htm

THIS IS INDIAN COOKING CLASS PAGES
http://www.nikikitchen.com/tea_latha.htm

THIS IS AFIRICAN
http://www.nikikitchen.com/tea_sco.htm

I love world wide cooking very much. if you interest this very happy.

and Sometimes I introduce cooking teacher to the food magazine .
this is results.
http://www.nikikitchen.com/book_osusume.html

e-mail:nikikitchen@yahoo.co.jp

Wed Jan 25, 05:41:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

HELLO, i HAPPENED UPON YOUR PAGE AND WONDERED IF YOU WERE IN Yokosuka? I was stationed there 5yrs ago and wanted to get in contact with the local jehovah's witnesses there in Yokosuka. The kingdom hall is near the naval base. It's the english congregation, could you help me??

Thanks

Mon Apr 11, 07:34:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Darren, we left Yokosuka in 2009. Unfortunately, I don't think we can be of much assistance to you. Best of luck.

Mon Apr 11, 01:29:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home