Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Don't Mess with Texas

As most of you in the States already know, yesterday was the big day of the NCAA National Championship game between University of Southern California and University of Texas in the Rose Bowl. Both teams went into the game undefeated during the regular season, but USC appeared to have the advantage because of the bowl's location in Pasadena. As it turns out, both teams had very good offensive games and the scoring went back and forth throughout. With under a minute to go in the 4th, USC led 38-33. Texas had the ball and drove the length of the field to USC's 8-yard line with about 19 seconds on the clock remaining. Finally, they managed to find a hole in the Trojan defense and scored the decisive final touchdown of the game. After the two-point conversion was completed, the Longhorns came away with the 41-38 victory.

I have two buddies that have to be some of the biggest USC fans in the world. One went to school there for undergraduate and grad school; and the other guy grew up in LA. So for you guys (Charles and Oldskool Mike), it was a tough loss but an amazing game to listen to on the internet. The game was played between 10am and 2:30pm here, so although I was at work, I caught the audio feed from the internet.

In non-sports news, I ordered a new lens using some Christmas money. The lens is a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II that was recommended to me by SushiJeff. It's a very light, amazingly sharp lens that is constructed primarily out of plastic (hense, the lightness). I played around with it a bit tonight when I got home and thought I'd share a few shots to show you what it's capable of indoors. I can't wait to use it outdoors because I despise using the flash, but it's pretty much necessary indoors to get the sharp picture that I love so much. I should mention that the photos are not digitally edited in any way (other than resizing), so what you see is what came from my camera. Not bad for a very inexpensive lens. Enjoy!




2 Comments:

Blogger ザック said...

Hey guys! I'm jealous you got to hear the game yesterday! I forgot I could get it on the 'net and was out shopping with a friend when it came on... We're over in Yachiyo, in Chiba Prefecture just east of Tokyo. You have a sweet blog. I just started one and in fact have a link to yours on mine(http://zackintokyo.blogspot.com). There's not much on there, but I'm about to start updating it with pics if possible. Anyway, ya'll have fun with Japan. Jaa, mata!

Fri Jan 06, 07:29:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah that was a tough loss. But I can only give credit to Vince Young and maybe the Texas defense for the win. Vince Young was the Texas offense and USC couldn’t figure out how to stop him. I still think that overall, USC was a better team but Young made the plays when it mattered. I’m just bummed that now I have to wait months to see what will happen next season with all the new players that will have to step up.

Sat Jan 07, 03:42:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home