Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Sunday, September 06, 2009

Cake Boss

No, not the guy on TLC... but me! When I asked what Nicki wanted for her birthday cake this year, she told me "chocolate cake with butter-cream frosting". Thank goodness I have mad cake-making skills and a top secret weapon (thanks Google).

In all honesty, fortunately for me, I stumbled upon the greatest website for uber engineering geeks like me, Cooking for Engineers. The host of that website knows his stuff; and he knows how to present it in a manner that engineers will understand - step by step, with pictures, and no nonsense details (the comments at the bottom of his recipe pages are great, too).

Without further ado, and with a tip of the hat to my mom (who is bar none the best cake maker I've ever met in person), behold the majesty of my first ever homemade from scratch birthday cake:

5 Comments:

Blogger Emerson Clan said...

Great cake! I just wanted to take a minute and say thank you for the great resource your blog has been for me. We moved to Yokosuka a month ago and I have been reading your blog for a year. Your archived posts really helped me prepare mentally for some of the big living changes we are experiencing off base. Thanks so much for sharing!---Carol

Mon Sep 07, 06:50:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Carol,

Thanks for commenting. I was starting to think that all of our readers had gone away, since we haven't posted regularly for a while. I hope your Japan experience is as enjoyable as ours has been - if not more.

Living off base in Japan can be a challenge, but it is one of the more rewarding challenges we've faced - meeting new people, struggling through conversations with neighbors, staring down the aisles of grocery stores and not being able to identify 75% of what's there.

Ja mata,

Mike

Mon Sep 07, 08:16:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Nicki - Tyler was thinking of Josh this morning as it was the first day of first grade at Wenzel. Hope all is going well for all of you. Someday I will get Ty to take the time to actually write to Josh rather than just ask me questions about life in Japan (that I can't answer).

Wed Sep 09, 08:30:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Darlene Miller said...

That looks soooooo good! I've been intimidated by making my own butter cream frosting as I know it can be step heavy but it looks like you did a great job. I'm sure it was delicious.

Thu Sep 10, 12:23:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey next time you craving for shaved ice go to Waiola Shaved Ice. They are the best on the island and they are right in town!! My favorite is leche-mochi balls w/condensed milk!! YUM!!! So fattening but worth every bite!! trust me this is good!!

Waiola Shaved Ice
2135 Waiola Street, Honolulu, HI 96826-2747
(808) 949-2269‎

Fri Jul 23, 10:39:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home