Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Goodbye Kitty

Today's a historic day in Yokosuka, Japan, because we had to say goodbye to a trusted old friend. The USS Kitty Hawk, the US Navy's only permanent forward-deployed carrier, left Yokosuka this morning for the final time. We were hoping to make it out for the send off, but when Nicki did a drive-by this morning she found the pier empty. When she got home, she called me to let me know that the ship was still visible in Tokyo Bay. So I headed home, grabbed my camera (from Nicki, who was already taking pictures), and did some shooting. As luck would have it, Nicki's pictures turned out better than mine - and I'm not ashamed to admit it... though it does sting a little. First pic is her's... second is mine.




For those that are wondering, the Kitty Hawk is on her way back to the States, where she'll be decommissioned sometime in 2009. The USS George Washington (CVN-73) will be replacing her in Yokosuka soon. But I'm not at liberty to say when.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeff D said...

Stupid autofocus....

That wiki link says the George Washington left Norfolk April 7th on route to Yokosuka, so I guess someone could do the math if they really wanted to know when she'd arrive.

Thu May 29, 02:29:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, my comment was more of a joke than anything. I honestly don't know when the GW will be here, but we keep hearing "sometime this summer".

Thu May 29, 10:03:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Ginny said...

The Kitty Hawk was there when I was back in 1984-87 along with the Midway. It's sad to see it go!

Thu May 29, 08:47:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger nelnelcoolj said...

I was there when the Kitty Hawk came by for a visit. So many demonstrations at the gate back then since she was a nuclear powered vessel. This was when the Midway was the homeported carrier. It was actually weird seeing the Midway berthed as a museum in San Diego last year. A little nostalgic as well. I was already in California when the Midway was replaced by the Indy which was subsequently replaced by the Kitty Hawk. I just remember the Kitty Hawk being such a larger vessel than the Midway.

Tue Jun 03, 06:18:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

nelnel,

the KH actually isn't nuclear, but it is much larger than the Midway. The KH's replacement, the George Washington, is the first nuclear powered carrier to be permanently forward deployed over here. It's actually caused quite a lot of stir around Japan because of the nuclear power source. We'll have to wait and see how things unfold once the GW makes its way to Japan. Could be interesting!

Tue Jun 03, 09:46:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cracks me up when the JN's protest a nuke carrier, most of Japan is nuclear powered! Believe it or not most Japanese folks do not know that the majority of their power is generated from nuclear power plants. I served on Midway, Indy, and the Hawk. Welcome to GW.

Thu Jun 05, 12:57:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger nelnelcoolj said...

In looking back, I'm remembering it wasn't the KH but a visiting nuclear sub that caused a commotion back then. I think the whole uproar about nuclear power is because it's used by a warfaring vessel...that whole WMD vs. as a power source thing I guess. Anyway...it's still good to reminisce. Miss the base. Miss Japan. So thankful you guys are there and blogging...

-Nelson "NelNel"

Sat Jun 07, 02:38:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home