Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Second Annual Kamakura 10K

Those of you that have been The Japan Years readers for over a year may recall a post from April 2006 called Kamakura 10K, describing my adventures of getting up before dawn and heading over to Kamakura to catch as many temples and shrines as I could before noon. I walked so far that I decided to call the trip my Kamakura 10K.

With Nicki and Josh away in the States, I thought it would be a good time to get up before dawn and do it again. This time, though, I didn't want to rush my way through. Instead, I took it easy and visited fewer sites. Also, I set the camera in full-fledged manual mode, which is something that I rarely do but want to practice more to help improve my photography skills.

The Japanese Plum (Ume) Blossoms were in full bloom... what a perfect time to visit Kamakura. I want to keep my write-up pretty short and instead devote time to some of the pics, but I thought I would share a little about one of the temples I visited called Tokeiji.

When I arrived at Tokeiji Temple ("ji" means "temple" in Japanese, so I am being redundant), I paid my 100 yen entrance fee and received a small information sheet in English. Some excerpts from the sheet:

"Tokeiji temple in Kitakamakura, which used to be known as one of the five nunneries was founded in 1285 by a nun named Kakusan..."

"In those days when women had no right to seek divorce, the Shogunate designated Tokeiji as a sanctuary for women where a woman petitioner could obtain a divorce from her husband after she spent three calendar years at the temple. That was how it earned the nickname "Divorce Temple".

"Local people were also ready to help women seeking refuge at Tokeiji. They might say where the temple was to any woman running in the neighborhood, since they thought she was being chased by her husband."

"As time passed, more and more women turned to this temple. Many men were summoned to the local court and were made to write a note of divorce."

"Tokeiji is the place where men are deprived of their pride."
I actually laughed out loud when I read the last line. It was even written in bold to stand out on the page. Not that I find it funny, per se, especially since it took 3 years of living there before a woman could get a divorce. But I find it ironic that these days, many modern married men would argue that home is the place where we're deprived of our pride.

Kidding aside, now for the pictures (the rest are in the Gallery, dated 03/04/2007):


Three Flower Pots Along Wall


Ume Blossoms and Japanese Latern


Barbed Wire Along Hiking Trail


Free Advertisement for my breakfast


Small Statue Surrounded by Ume Blossoms

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Corn in a can for breakfast! Yuck!!! I hope it tastes better than it sounds. Nice pictures by the way.

Thu Mar 08, 05:53:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

I'm so glad you posted that note on the temple! When I was there last I had the same flyer and it mysteriously disappeared. I thought the history was so interesting and I was disappointed to not have the complete recollection of it -- deprived of their pride indeed! :D

Loved the corn in the can, and the ume blossom shot is absolutely divine.

Fri Mar 16, 12:36:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home