Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Friday, January 05, 2007

George Michael and his shoes

Japan Fun Fact: I think that Japan is the only place where you can walk into a grocery store and hear I want your Sex by George Michael, or Nine Inch Nails singing, "I want to *uck you like an animal", and yes folks it's uncensored!

Another fun fact: Discluding school children, I don't believe I've seen anyone wearing the same shoes in public... ever! The shoes that retailers carry here are pretty awesome though. Many of the New Balance, Converse and Vans are way different from the ones you can find in the States and a lot of times they are a lot more fun! The only catch is that they are way more expensive!

Mike had the car today, so I went shopping for new shoes for Josh. I was just going to buy online but after finding a Japanese brand that I liked on Zappos.com (awesome place to buy shoes online if you haven't heard of them) I thought I would email the actual company and find out where I could buy them here in JP. The brand was Tsukihoshi. Funny side note, I had to email the California sales rep to find out where I could buy them! The sales rep informed me that, in fact, they only sell Tsukihoshi shoes at Genki Kids in Yokohama. Apparently it's the only place they sell them...weird. Especially since they have been around since 1873. Actually the parent company, Moonstar, has been around for that long. Which made me wonder if I was experiencing a Toyota/Lexus scenario?? Anyway, the sales person gave me the address of the place I could find them. Although it's on my list of adventures (I saved the address), I needed shoes immediately for my growing little booger (I mean that in the most affectionate way possible!).

Living in Japan poses a new dilemma when shopping for kids shoes. I need to find supportive shoes that don't have laces. Mainly because they have to be easy for him to get on and off when we are out playing tourist, or going to Japanese homes, or even going into a fitting room at the mall. On the military base they have some very cute shoes, it's just they all have laces, plus selection in his size is hard to come by... ARG! Lucky for me, most places were having After New Years sales. I stopped by the local department store downtown and bought some Miki House shoes for 30% off. Miki house is a pretty pricey brand (no affliliation with Disney). The shoes I got him were about 5565 yen full price. I got them on sale for about 3885 yen about $38.85 or more exact depending on the exchange rate: $32.92. I went to a few places and this was the only place that had green shoes. They are just little Vans style slip-ons. He specifically wanted green shoes like Mommy! Oh my gosh, he actually wants to be like me and not his Daddy! Wonders never cease!

On my way out I also stopped at Gap where they had some more things on sale WOOHOO! I bought him a little fleece hoodie for 900 yen and some pull up pants (just the elastic band with no buttons or zippers) for 1400 yen (about $9.00 and $14.00) I believe the yen exchange here is about 118 yen per dollar so, maybe to be exact: $7.62 and $11.86 :) I really appreciate toddler/children's pants here just because the waste is built for skinny kids like Josh! So, his pants aren't always falling down on him.

If anyone reading this is living in Japan and has children, or is familiar with children's name brands here, please let me in on some secrets on where to find them! I'm always looking for good quality reasonably priced clothing for my American child that I can buy here and not have to order online. It's also nice to be able to go back to the States and say, "yeah, we bought these for Josh in Japan" :) So, if anyone knows of a good place in the Kanagawa prefecture to buy children's clothes, fill me in! All the places that I buy from are so close to base that I wonder if I'm really getting a good price? Although Japan for Kids is a good resource if living in Tokyo, it leaves much to be desired for the surrounding prefectures.

In regards to future shopping excursions, I will be taking Mike to Costco for the first time on the 18th, so we'll have to fill you in on that! We also recently went to the new IKEA in Yokohama where we finally got a new dresser for me as the one I had was on it's last leg. We also enjoyed some meatballs and Glogg YUM. Although it was Swedish, it definitely reminded us of home.

2 Comments:

Blogger ReyLynda said...

That reminds me of the time I went into the 100 yen store and the overhead speakers were playing Monty Python's "Sit on My Face and Tell Me That You Love Me".....and no words were deleted!

Keeping fingers crossed you can find your shopping product soon. I am now an official "Mystery Shopper" in the greater San Diego area,and am getting paid to shop (who knew)? I'm having a tough time trying to report on that via blog due to confidentiality agreements, but will do so soon. If I have to shop any Baby Gap I'll send you the product (because my dog won't wear any of it, lol).

Fri Jan 12, 05:55:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

That Monty Python song is a classic! "Life could be fine if we all..." (you get the point)

Hey, thanks for keeping us in mind with Baby Gap. Also, if you get sent to Gymboree or any other places, we'll take anything the dogs don't want!

-Mike

Fri Jan 12, 08:48:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home