Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Monday, January 08, 2007

They Had Him in Stitches

CAUTION: the details of this post are not for the squeamish.

Tonight was an adventurous night in the lives of the Japan Years men. Nicki and Josh picked me up from work so that we could turn around and drop Nicki off at the gym. Then our plan was to head home and make dinner for the guys while mommy worked out. That didn't turn out so well. Instead, daddy drove home in the pouring rain, helped Josh out of his car seat, and then we walked towards our front door. Unfortunately, as I began to turn the knob on the front door of the house, I heard Josh cry out in the type of voice that every parent immediately recognizes but hopes to never hear... the sound of intense pain.

As I turned around, Josh was hunched over on the front steps with his head tucked into his arm, half-hugging himself tightly. He cried out, "I hit my head". Apparently, he must have slipped and head-butted the corner of the top step leading to our front door. As I ran over and told him that he'd be okay, I noticed a steady stream of blood flowing - not dripping, but actually flowing - from his forehead, almost directly between his eyebrows. The flow of blood was so intense that in the two seconds or less that it took me to get over to him, blood was already dripping around his nose, below his eyes, and into his mouth. The wound looked pretty deep, so I carried him inside and laid him down on the floor with his head tilted back to keep the blood from his eyes. Then I ran to the linen closet, grabbed a hand towel, and began applying direct pressure to stop the bleeding. After a couple minutes, I realized that the wound wouldn't close on its own. Time for Plan B, the trip to the emergency room.

Knowing good and well that Josh wouldn't keep pressure on the wound all the way to the hospital, I thought quickly about what I could do to help keep it from bleeding along the way. A band-aid wouldn't be strong enough of a squeeze to do the trick. So I went straight for the scotch tape. Uncomfortable... probably. But under the circumstances... necessary.

On the way to the hospital, I talked to Josh to make sure that he was alert, asked him questions, etc. He did great and I knew that his mind was still active and functioning as normal. When we got to the ER, one of our doctor friends, Rich, was leaving for the night. He took a quick look and reassured me that head wounds tend to bleed like that and that "the bark was probably far worse than the bite". He also let me know that another doctor friend of ours was on duty tonight, in case we wanted a friend there to do the work. (It's nice to have friends within the doctor community, let me tell you!)

As it turns out, when we finally worked through the paperwork and got Josh to an examination table, the on-the-scene doctor told us that we'd likely need stitches, because the wound looked too deep for the skin glue that is sometimes used on shallower lacerations. I held Josh's hand through the entire process, though the poor little guy doesn't realize that his daddy is squeamish about such things and was struggling to watch any bit of the action on the table. I also noticed that the doctor's scrubs had a UNC logo, so I asked if he was a Tarheel and he replied in the affirmative. Despite better judgement, I told him that I went to NC State; he told me that was okay as long as I wasn't from Duke. Now, back to the action...

First, they cleaned the wound with a high-pressured saline water mix. During the intense wash down, Josh calmly but urgently said, "I'm all done. I feel better now." That right there is brave-three-year-old talk for "Ouch! Stop it! I'm done with you people!". After the wash down, they had to numb him. First, they used a topical solution on the outside of his skin to numb the surface. That didn't bother Josh at all. After 15 minutes or so, they removed that and then told me that they had to secure Josh's arms and legs so that he wouldn't move during the procedure. So they burrito-wrapped him onto a toddler sized plastic mattress and wrapped him with thick belts of Velcro. Surprisingly, he didn't even seem bothered by his new found lack of mobility. The nurse even commented that most kids go nuts when they are tied up like that.

When the doctor brought the overhead lights closer, Josh got a bit nervous. He closed his eyes as tight as he could and repeated, "I'm all done. I feel better now." The doctor reassured him that he had nothing to worry about. "C'mon, doc." I thought... "You've got a loaded needle in your hand". (Just a reminder that you can't trust a Tarheel). Moments later, the doctor injected the Novocaine into Josh's forehead. Twice. One on each side of the wound. After that, Josh was surprisingly calm as the doctor gave him four stitches in his head, then topped off the new threads with two glue-sealed bandages.


During the stitching, Josh and I negotiated over a post-ER "Chicken, Fries, and a Coke" at McDonald's. So after all was completed, we went over to the gym to pick mommy up and then headed over to Mickey D's. But not before two nurses offered Josh two stickers for being such a good patient. In fact, several people in the ER acknowledged that he acted much older and that most three year olds would have gone ballistic.

It didn't take Nicki long at all to notice her baby's new melon bling and by the time she got into the car I was already halfway into recalling the evening's adventure to her. Both mommy and daddy's nerves were shot. All the while, Josh sat there... a brave and courageous little man, ready for his "Chicken, Fries, and a Coke".

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh, you were such a big boy. Granddaddy and Baba love you. Please have mom and dad give you a great big hug from us.

Mon Jan 08, 10:58:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess they can airbrush that nice little wound in pictures, right???? The main thing is that Josh is okay, since cement can cause nasty things like concussions, etc...I bet he was pretty much doing great and thought it was a great treat to go to Micky D's. It was probably more traumatic for you Mike, than for Josh. Glad he was such a big boy about the ordeal--give him lots of hugs! Hope he is as great when it's time to take those stitches out!! Maybe Nicki should go this time..don't want any woozy Daddys!!! I'm always a basket case when anyone I love gets hurt, so I know how you feel! Love, Mom

Tue Jan 09, 09:31:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Ginny said...

Wow! Poor little guy. What is really weird is that I had my first emergency room visit with one of my kids yesterday.(I have 3) She is almost 14 and with 3 in sports I guess I have been very lucky. She fell on her face during a basketball game. Three stitches above her eye and a huge fat lip. I don't do blood and guts well either, Mike. Josh still looks adorable! Hope he's better soon.

Tue Jan 09, 10:17:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Oh what a little man. I wanted to give him a giant squeeze when I read the "I'm all done now. I feel better". What a cutie. Brave of you to go to the ER by yourself. That is never ever fun.

Tue Jan 09, 12:01:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Josh is doing great. Surprisingly, he's even avoided touching the wounded area with his hands for the most part.

Laura, I'm sure that the ER experience was more traumatic for me than it was for Josh. His youth and naivety served him well that night. Oh, and the good news about the stitches is that they are made from dissolvable material, so they will go away on their own. There's no need to head back in later to have them taken out.

-Mike

Wed Jan 10, 09:54:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother went to UNC for college and medical school. However, if the doctor who traeted Josh had been educated at Duke, he would have waved his hand over Josh and the wound would have disappeared.

Thu Jan 11, 09:45:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a little trooper! Sounds like he was an ER All-Star! I hope he feels better soon, and good news about the dissolving stitches!

Thu Jan 11, 07:15:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

Now THAT is a photo for the future! I'm sure he can't wait 'til you guys replay that story to his future wife. Poor little guy! I'm glad he's feeling better, and you two must have been insane with worry.

Email hugs!

Fri Jan 12, 05:52:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Josh sounds like he was quite the trooper!

I remember getting my eyebrow sliced open by the gun sight of a bb gun as a 6'ish year old (long story...). Another 1/2 inch lower and I likely would be a career pirate or eye-patch model. Fortunately, things turned out OK, although I have a tiny section of missing eyebrow hair to this day.

Even though I was very young I can recall that event with stunning clarity, from the moment it happened, the blood (yes...head-wounds do tend to do that don't they....), the scramble of my parents trying to get dressed to haul me to the ER, and even the whole experience on the ER table getting my stitches. (I didn't get the cool "dissolving" ones--they had to go back in and take them out weeks later...gross!)

Ahh memories....I'm sure he will be proudly blogging his memory of this experience one day with his family....

Fri Jan 12, 11:01:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mike & Nicki,

I found your blog when I was searching for info about Yokosuka. It looks like our family will be stationed there in August of this year. We're excited because my husband is American but speaks Japanese fluently so that should come in handy. Can you email me and tell me just a few things about the area? Mainly just where the best places are to live, and what kind of activities we can do with our little ones. We have 3 that are 4 and under. My email address is: kbskelton@verizon.net. Sorry, I'm posting this in your blog comment section but I couldn't find an email address to send it to. Thanks, Karri

Fri Jan 12, 10:34:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home