Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

California... so far

Well, I'd have to say that I have been having a fun time. For some reason, I feel as though there just isn't enough time to do everything. Josh has been having the time of his life with Grammi feeding him chocolate, cola and chips the whole time. Although Josh really only sticks to 3 basic things: PB& J, Chicken & fries and Fishies & Rice. I mean "fishies" as in sashimi. He won't touch the cooked stuff, so I find him to be an expensive date Stateside.

Despite the fact that I am able to do lots of shopping and eating at my favorite places, I am missing my home in Japan. As the saying goes there is no place like home. No matter where it is. I'm reminded every morning as I sink my buns down on an ice cold unheated toilet seat and I am continually reminded through the day as I notice the road rage, eye contact, rude service, and a small hint of rage simmering beneath the surface of just about everyone. Of course politics & the war are on everyone's mind and I have heard endless lectures on either why overseas is so much better than the States or, why the States is so much better than overseas. Everyone seems to have an opinion. On the other hand, I've had to catch myself several times before I start my sentence with "In Japan...".

However, my 10 days are not done with yet and I have a lot of family and friends to see still. I went out to real Chinese food last night - YUM! Sorry, I have yet to find non-bland Chinese food in Japan and, no, I don't mean Americanized Chinese. I always grew up with good authentic Chinese food. My best friend's mother is from Taiwan and makes it fresh, so consequently she knows where to get it if she doesn't have time to make it. If you are ever in the Sacramento area, stop by a little hole-in-the-wall downtown called First Choice. It will be the best Chinese you've ever eaten! It was great to catch up with old friends gathered around a table with a family style meal rotating on a giant lazy susan. My family has been a riot, and because of divorces and remarriages, has grown over the years which usually means doubling up on trips to see every one. It also means double the fun. I have a ton of grandparents and Josh still has many many grandparents and great grandparents who are equally as eager to spread and share the love.

As I look over the calm Sacramento River, I'm reminded that there is no place like my original home either. The old railroad, the historic district downtown, and the once new redwood trees in my neighborhood from my childhood that have turned into looming giants over the years. Yes, there is no place like Sacramento...

8 Comments:

Blogger nelnelcoolj said...

Hi! Having spent the good part of a year in Sacramento, I have visited First Choice. It IS excellent. I worked in downtown Sac that year and found another good hole-in-the-wall called Indochine that has the best lemongrass chicken this guy's ever had. Having been a transplant from Japan, if you get the taste for almost authentic Japanese sushi in Sacramento, try Mana's on Alta Arden or Megami's in downtown on 10th Street. I'm more partial to Megami's as I used to go there at least once a week. Alan, the chef and owner is a self-taught itamai. He's great. It's a small restaurant, but you get a good flavor of the Japanese experience in there.

Sat Mar 03, 04:50:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I am glad you are having a good time visiting. Shop away, girl! Mmmm...Chinese food...I'm hungry now...

Sat Mar 03, 10:21:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Ginny said...

You are right; there is no place like home. I agree with your description of us Americans. Sad but true!! (eye contact, rudeness..) You put into words why my transition back to the states was so hard. Weird that culture shock is harder coming back to the USA than going to Japan! Enjoy the rest of your visit.

Sat Mar 03, 10:37:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Weinraub Family said...

Ok Nicki I have to laugh...I was JUST sitting here telling my family that I wanted American Chinese food for dinner. LOL. Orange chicken yummmm. I have been getting my fill of it (and real mexican, god love california).

Have to say, both Leah and I are a bit home sick for Japan too. We will see you guys there soon. Have a great time of the rest of your trip.

Sun Mar 04, 11:10:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simmering rage in California? Try London, we don't usually worry about suppressing it here! But we do have good Chinese (and Indian) food.

Enjoy your trip!

Sun Mar 04, 06:59:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd have to say "simmering" regarding rage because it only takes a comment that might be offensive to a fellow American or, for heaven's sake, an inquiry of their political leanings to get a lecture on what needs to be done to make the nation/the world a better place. Things for some reason tend to be more relaxed in Japan. There is a certain comfort that comes with the frustration of not knowing the language I think.

Thanks for all of the comments! It's been fun. Since this post, my mother drove me up to my favorite winery in St. Helena (Napa Valley) to purchase a case of our favorite wine. Also, bought a couple of bottles of balsamic vinegar (10 yr. aged) and Olive oil from Olivier's. The day before our family took a road trip to San Francisco where, my sister had a chance to ride the cable car for the first time, drive down Lombard street and purchase and have lunch at the original Boudin Bread Bakery. For dessert we walked down to Ghirardelli for a Hot Fudge Sundea. The weather couldn't have been better Sunny and absolutely no fog. This last weekend has definitely been indulgence!

Mon Mar 05, 11:15:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger nelnelcoolj said...

Oh my! My family and I were in San Francisco this Sunday! We were planning on taking the BART into the city but at the last minute we drove in. We rode the cable car (my son Jake's, first time). My wife's aunt has been visiting from the Philippines and we did the touristy thing with her taking the cable car from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf. We walked to Ghiradelli Square (Jake's been into pirates so when he saw the old ship berthed across the way he kept saying it was the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean). It really was an awesome day in the city, surprisingly warm and sunny. Wouldn't it have been odd if we'd passed each other (or better yet, were on the same trolley) and didn't even realize it? Glad you enjoyed the City!!!

Wed Mar 07, 08:26:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

C-L-A-S-S-I-C = "Sink my buns down on an ice cold unheated toilet seat"

There are so many things I miss about Japan, and one of them is a really simple bunwarming in the dead of winter.

I'm sure you really miss your home (as in "home is where the heart is").....thanks for sharing your ongoing adventure back in the states.

Wed Mar 07, 03:00:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home