Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Costco Vacation

I can just imagine, if I were back in the States, telling my boss, "Hey, I need the day off on Thursday. I'm going to Costco with the family." Well, that's just what I did earlier this week and today the family went to Costco. We booked the trip through base, so we were able to snag a 1-day temporary membership, good enough to allow me to make my first Japanese Costco visit and allow Nicki to show me the ropes, since she had been once before.

We actually walked out of there having spent less than $100 (at today's yen exchange rate). Not too shabby considering we ended up with a shirt for me, a bottle of wine, several Japanese sauces and marinades, an interactive toddler computer game for Josh, amongst other things.

In unrelated news, I've posted pictures from our trip to Nagano. I attached two more to our previous post and there's a lot more in the Gallery, dated 01/15/2007.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Hey Mike,

I tried to find some more direct contact info on your blog, but I didn't see a link so I thought I'd just drop a comment and hope you'd see it.

Long story short, I am a Navy civilian "intern" in Washington, DC, and I am very interested in doing one of my mandatory rotations in Japan. :) I was wondering if you'd be willing to have a dialogue with me about this, and lend me a hand in finding an appropriate POC.

Your blog has really inspired me to check out CFAY and its surroundings, and given the nature of my position at NAVSEA, this is the perfect time to explore!

v/r,

Dan Lipert
danlipert@gmail.com

Fri Jan 19, 05:56:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

I'm impressed by ANYONE who can make it out of Costco under $100.

Fri Jan 19, 09:01:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Costco is the best- in a Japanese world of miniture everything, it is like a visit back to American sized reality! You guys get the Costco award for spending less than $100! They have this really great multi-grain bread in the bakery section that I got nuts for.

Also, really enjoyed your Nagano photos!

Fri Feb 02, 08:13:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home