Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Tackling the Tupperware (Nicki)

Before I start on today's story, an FYI that the 1st photo in the previous post is of a Japanese style computer desk.

Ok, on to the more important things like my triumph over the 2 moving boxes that have been mocking me in the dining room. Many folks may know what I'm eluding to. Those last 2 or 3 boxes left after a move that just won't go away on their own. Well, in this house there lived such boxes. They were loaded with miscellaneous crap from our San Diego kitchen and dining room. I dreaded unloading these. Most of the contents were Tupperware. A housewife's best ally or worst enemy depending on how we view it. I tend to be the pessimist so I view them as the latter of the 2 labels. They (Tupperware) are great for storing leftovers (which only my husband really enjoys) but are a pain in the butt to organize. I had one cupboard in my miniscule kitchen preserved for these plastic creations. Before I started on my mission, I had to pick the appropriate soundtrack. I chose Offspring's "Smash" album; the perfect music for going into battle.

I proceeded to sort the "haves" from the "have-nots", that is I trashed most of the spaghetti sauce stained containers and the recycled yogurt cups. While I did this, I questioned myself as to why in the world I didn't trash these before we left. Ah, I remember. I was just too lazy! After carefully sorting my trashed tupperware in the right garbage can, I moved on to the smaller more annoying objects that had whittled their way to the bottom of the humongous box I had just cleaned out.

A common mistake that I make while cleaning is getting sidetracked with reminiscent memories of a particular object. Such was the case with several of the things I was trying to find a home for. Many of them were magnets that I had collected from trips that Mike and I had taken over the years. Some magnets were not even collectibles. Some of them were just freebies that I had received from local San Diego companies. Thus, leading me down the path of missing California.

I found a Baja Fresh magnet and started thinking not about Baja Fresh but of it's somewhat ghetto counterpart..... Roberto's. Oh how I miss Roberto's Carne Asada Burritos. The burritos are about the size of my forearm. As you bite into the "forearm", grease trickles through the massive heaping pile of carne asada (steak) and guacamole down onto your chin. G-d only knows how long that carne asada had been sitting under a heat lamp before it made it's way to your mouth, but at the point of contact the consumer could care less. 3:00 AM cravings are different all around the world. I know on the east coast, it's pizza, Wendy's, or White Castle. However, in SoCal, Roberto's is the place to go (or In-N-Out, which may make it's way to a different blog, but for now I'll stick with this fantasy). Between the carne asada burritos and the Offspring music playing in the background, I decided to move on before I started drowning in the longing for Southern California.

So, I turned on a new CD. The Vandals. Before I knew it, all of the junky freebie magnets were stuck on our new refrigerator. We had a quick dinner of Ramen and walked to the 24-hour market by our house to sample some new junk food. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important thing that we picked up. An expensive bottle of Sake (or at least we hope it's Sake!). After Mike's beer and my glass of wine, what better time to stock up on more alcohol? We sampled some and boy was is strong. This is why you may find this blog a little more "colorful" than most!

2 Comments:

Blogger ReyLynda said...

Oh! Robertos!!! I loved that place in San Diego. I'm so happy that there's someone who remembers those greasy pellets so fondly. I get the big "question mark" face when I mention this to my asian neighbors. In my perfect world there would be a chain of them here in Yokohama. And after six months I STILL have boxes that mock me (cleverly hidden in the storage shed).

Mon Dec 19, 09:59:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try Sho-chu. Mix it 50-50 with water and ice. It puts sake to shame.

Tue Dec 20, 12:18:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home