Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Ultimate in Fast Food (Nicki)



Thought I would type in a quick post to let you know how we spent our weekend as a follow up to Wednesday at Disney - by the way, Mike wanted me to let you know that the remainder of our Disney pictures are up in the Gallery, dated 12/14/2005. We took it easy this Saturday but we thought that we would take a short trip up to Yokohama (well, close to Yokohama), to Kamiooka station on the Keikyu Line, to check out an electronics store that Jeff told us about. I wanted to get a couple of frames for some pictures that my Grandparents sent me a couple weeks back and Mike just wanted to check out all the "toys". This place was definitely electronics overload. It was awesome but at the same time overwhelming. Great entertainment for Joshua and it was fun to see all the gadgets that we don't have yet in the States. I'm sure that this store was nothing compared to Akihabara in Tokyo, which is one of the spots on our "must see" list before we leave Japan. I found a couple of 8x10 frames at the store but couldn't really find a collage frame to my liking, so I'll just have to keep shopping. If you're interested and/or you are located in the Yokohama area and would like to check it out, the store is called Yodobashi and it's located on the 9th floor at the mall around Komiooka station.

On our way up to Kamiooka, as we were walking to the train station, we bickered about where we were going to eat lunch. We had gotten a late start - it was already 11:00AM - and Josh's official lunch time. I was cranky and hungry because all I had was a cup of coffee for breakfast. We thought about hunting down a Sushi place, but we didn't know where there were any child-friendly places. Josh doesn't eat raw fish yet. (I'm not sure what the safe age for this is. He's 2 years) We have faced this predicament in the past. Typically, we hunt for for a new Sushi Restaurant to try (that is child-friendly). During our search, we proceed to get hungrier and more frustrated. We find nothing to agree upon and end up settling for McDonalds. So today, we decided to skip the search and stop by the train station's McDonalds and grab a bite. However, as fate would have it, the line at McDonald's was out the door. Seeing this as some sort of a sign, we headed for Yokosuka-Chuo train station to try our luck at hunting down a good sushi spot. We didn't have to hunt for long. More's is a mall located at Yokosuka-Chuo train station. Taking the elevator to the 8th floor lead us to the food garden (I think that's what they called it) and "Ding" we found something. It was a little Sushi Bar with a coveyer belt full of plates. Just what we were looking for. We scoped out the place and it was pretty quiet inside, which meant, Horray!, not too many folks would give us the evil eye if we brought a 2 year old into the place. They had just what we were looking for. As I sat there, I pondered....'this is the ultimate in fast food! You don't even have to order. It's just there already.' If you've never been in a sushi bar such as this you're missing out. For family members back at home, I'll describe. When you walk in, there is a bar set up with a Sushi Chief behind the counter.

On the counter, there is a small conveyer belt with little plates of sushi delights. Each plate is color-coded. Each color stands for a certain price that is usually posted on a menu or on the wall. For example, blue plates cost 100 Yen, yellow plates are 200 Yen, and so on. When you're done eating, the amount of plates you finish off are added up and that's your bill. Usually, there is complimentary instant green tea or tea bags placed on the counter along with a hot water dispenser and mug. Being that this was Yokosuka-Chuo Station (and extremely close to the Navy Base), much of the sushi being served was of the America-jin variety. Salmon, Tuna, Squid, Shrimp, and different sushi rolls. I'm not a big fan of the sushi rolls at all. The seaweed is just to fishy for my taste and in a lot of the rolls, there is an excess of mayonaise or some sort of creamy stuff that I just can't hack, along with fish eggs. However, I can eat the raw stuff all day! For those of you back home who have never tried actual Sashimi, I urge you to try. There is absolutely NO fishy taste. The texture is like a really rare steak - it melts in your mouth. Mixed with sticky rice, wasabi, and soy it is fantastic. If you're apprehensive, drink some sake (Japanese rice-wine) first and then give it a try! Or try some seared tuna at a restaurant and you're halfway there. Josh was content with some rice, fried chicken and french fries. That meal definitely made our day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! Yodobashi!

When you make it to Akiba, there's a brand new Yodobashi (9 floors!) that's the biggest in Japan.

Can't miss it once you leave JR.

Sun Dec 18, 12:59:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Don't know if I'll be ready for the raw fish or not when we come to visit. I wanted to comment about your car--is it a pretty small wagon? Looking at it reminds me of the little Mazda wagon we used to have. I really loved that little car! Hope you like getting around in yours as well. Is it an automatic? Seeing Tokyo Disney mademe really jealous, but I'm glad we don't need knit caps and scarves any time of year at Disneyland...Love you guys

Sun Dec 18, 02:53:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Claus said...

Ok you guys!

I do a comment on eating sushi in Texas and the next post you have is about eating sushi in Japan. I prefer Sashimi myself, Alvis (daughter) prefers the California roll style and Lavie (wife) gets everyone laughing when she orders french fries with a bowl of white rice on the side! Isn't sushi in Texas grand?

I loved the detail you included in how they price your bill by the color of the plates. Keep up adding these details!

I've added a static link to your blog on our sidepage. You're too great!

--Claus
http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com

Mon Dec 19, 05:56:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

I learned to add the detail from another blog that I've been viewing. It's about a military couple living here. I met the wife a few months ago while getting some coffee. I really enjoyed reading her blog because it listed details such as these about Japanese Living. I think that she has made it more enjoyable for friends, family, and other viewers who have never been to Japan. Here is the link if you are interested http://www.betweenrandomplanets.typepad.com/

I agree, many Japanese people are warmer than some people give them credit for. Their emotions are just shown differently then us Americans and/or Europeans. I'll have to check out your blog also. Thanks for the link. Nicki

Mon Dec 19, 08:07:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yes, and I'll have to keep note of the 9 floor Yodobashi!

Mom, our wagon is probably very similar to the mazda. Except for I think it may be a little roomier. Not sure though. It's great if we need to pick up a large item. (Such as our recent purchase of a Kotatsu)It's a little larger than a Vibe. I've even seen Vibes here! Except for they are Toyota type and not the Pontiac type. The only bummer about our used wagon is that the previous owner was a smoker so we've been working on airing it out. However, it's extremely clean and runs great.

Mon Dec 19, 08:11:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home