Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Get......ting Out!

A follow up to my little post before about getting out. Since that post, I think that I've been up to Yokohama about 3-4 times & I'm pretty sure I have the train route down. Had a great time with Josh at Toys R Us. They seemed to have most of the same things that they have in the states, but with little differences. I bought Josh some Winnie the Pooh squeaky sandals (which, are all the rage here for new walkers & toddlers) that squeak with every step he takes. I also got him some Japanese style sneakers. Toddler shoes here are just fabulous. They are so easy to get on and off little feet vs. the American style shoes that fit a little more securely, but take a lot longer to get off and on. Here in Japan we have to take our shoes on and off A LOT, so getting shoes that fit the bill are important. An added bonus, Josh can actually take them off himself... HOORAY!

Our friend Takami-san took me around Yokohama on Thursday. Since she had this week off for Golden Week, she was more than happy to spend the day with us! I found out soon enough that she also had a hidden motive. She was excited to get to Queens Tower to dine in the new Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream shop there. We arrived at about 10:15AM. The shop didn't open until 11:00AM, but there was already a line of 40-50 folks waiting. Takami suggested while she wait in line that I take Josh walking around the mall. I was so happy that Takami-san suggested Queens Tower. Mike and I had actually gone there the weekend prior. While Mike and I were there, I stopped by a hat shop and fell in love with a pretty pricey hat. I decided against buying it then, seeing that it was just a little too much to pay. However, the following week, I couldn't stop thinking about the cute hat that got away! Thankfully, I had a second chance to purchase it and I decided to take advantage. It's been a few days now and I have yet to go without wearing this hat. Hats are much more popular for women here in Japan than they are in the states and I'm afraid that I'm being sucked into the trend. In my defense.....they are ideal for sun protection. Instead of slathering on the eye-stinging sunblock on your face; just wear a hat! (This is what I use when explaining my purchases to my husband!) After going to Queens Tower, we headed to Motomachi Shopping Street. Yokohama is famous for it being a port city. So they have all kinds of imports in this shopping area (and throught Yokohama). My favorite one however, was discovering a See's Candy Shop! I couldn't believe I found one here. They don't even have See's Candy on the US East Coast and yet, I find one in Japan!

This weekend was mighty hectic (and it's not quite over yet!). Saturday was a time for me to hang out with the ladies! A friend that I've met here (actually we met on the bus to Tokyo Disney!), Christine, is expecting her second son and a couple of very great women got together to throw her a joint baby shower. They had the fabulous idea of giving away pedicure kits complete with soaking bowl, bath salts, nail file, nail polish and drying towl. The kit also included a candle that we are supposed to light when Christine goes into labor. The idea is to light the candle and think about our own labor or to think positive thoughts and channel them her way. Christine was treated to a premium pedicure and foot massage and she was showered with gifts. I had so much fun shopping for her gift and cruising down the infant boys clothing aisle at the NEX. I had forgotten how small they are! I got her, of course, some little booties that said, "I love my Mommy" and "I love my Daddy". I also got her the cutest little summertime jumper. SO CUTE! We also decided to start a labor pool. We betted on what date little Simon would be born. I' ve got the 19th down. The food was excellent but the company was even better. I've met a lot of different moms on base but I thoughly enjoy this group's fun and sarcastic wit. Following the Baby Shower, Mike picked me up and we met our friend Hide-san for a Boys Day/Children's Day Celebration. I'll have Mike take it from here.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you have been able to discover the joy of Yokohama! I just can't get enough of Queen's Square, Motomachi Street, and the surrounding areas and it sounds like you have the Yokohama "bug" too!
Also sounds like you are making some great friends in the fellow moms in your area! Congrats!

ps- you should post a picture of you in your new hat! We all want to see this infamous hat!

Mon May 08, 08:07:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Will do! I should be able to put it up soon!

Tue May 09, 08:51:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! I can see why it was a must-have!!

Wed May 10, 07:42:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

Great hat, Nicki!

We're definitely heading into hat season (either too much rain or as sun protection).....very cute topper!

Fri May 12, 06:40:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

What a super cute picture of you Nicki! You are so adorable!! Did you cut your hair?

Sat May 13, 03:45:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home