Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Just Another Day (Nicki)

After reading SushiJeff's blog about Takayama it inspired me to type out a blog of my own since I haven't done it for quite some time. Actually, this will be my 2nd blog. If you like this blog, you'll love www.sushicam.com. That is how we came up with the idea for this website.

Lately, because of the cold weather, I've been feeling a little bit like spending my days in a cocoon that I like to call the living room, with the heater blasting at full force and the only English TV Channel on, National Geographic. Yes, I'm a spoiled Californian through and through. Although I do find solace knowing that it's been reported to be unusually cold for this time of year. It makes me feel a little less "wussy". Not only is it cold but I do have my episodes of missing home. The comfort of being able to leave the house and know exactly where to go for something is now pretty much gone. Also, the idea of the effort that it would take to get a toddler to the train station and to a destination and back is just too frightening sometimes. Last time I took the train to base it took 2 hours. (Then I had to run my errands) OK, I'm over-exaggerating just a tad. Today I decided to buck up, get over it and get outside. Went shopping at the local store for a couple of last minute Christmas Gifts. Really, the grocery store and small shopping strip by the train station have been so much fun to venture out to. I honestly don't know how I'm going to see everything this country has to offer since I see something new everyday at the grocery store. I've also become a bit of a vending machine addict. Every time I see something new in a machine I haven't tried, I HAVE to pay the 120-Yen to get it. The hot Lemon Tea is great. Also, the apple juice is glorious. We've so affectionately called it "Crapple" (Crack apple Juice) because of the super sweet flavor & because of the way Josh gulps it down like it's the last thing he will ever drink. I've got a care package together for Mike's old office filled with interesting food items that I hope they enjoy, like Grape Kit-Kats and sweet potato chips.

We haven't really taken any trips recently. We've just been trying to get the house together and get ready for the Holidays. We are planning on taking a trip up to Tokyo Disney very soon. It should be a great time. Josh will really enjoy it. It's so exciting to see how he is starting to grasp concepts more. We've put up the tree and placed several presents underneath. I've started to talk to him more about Christmas and what Santa is going to bring. Now, when he wakes up in the morning, I say the usual good morning and ask him, "Do you want to go downstairs? Mommy will make you oatmeal and turn on the Christmas Tree Lights." He immediately replies, "DOWNSTAIRS! PRESENTS PRESENTS!!" You guessed it; the presents and tree are downstairs. He hasn't opened any on his own yet....I hear that we have to worry about that as he gets older though.

Even though it's been cold, the weather up until recently has been absolutely beautiful. The trees have changed and the sun has been out. It's been really awesome to see the change in season. To get over my "cocoon symptoms", I've decided to call a couple places on base to get me involved. Twice a week, I've decided to enroll Josh in daycare (for a half-day or less) so that I can get away and so that he can have some interaction with other children. Preferably, I'd like to find someone (who speaks Japanese) to come and watch him but he might really enjoy seeing other children so I'm going to give daycare a shot. I have my driver’s test on Friday, so wish me luck! After I get my license, I'm going to sign on for the Health and Wellness program at the Gym. I'll get evaluated and then be put on a program with a trainer. It's a first step. Maybe I'll finally get rid of the huge roll on my stomach. (Probably cutting back on the vending machine would help too!) Anyway, like the title says, Just another day in JAPAN!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you are experiencing in Japan. You will never get tired of finding new things. Walk down any alley and you will discover something new. If you are cold inside, get a kotatsu.

David

Tue Dec 06, 11:33:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicki,

Great Blog posting! Keep it up! We definately need to go to Tokyo Disney when we come to visit. We "wasted" a whole day in Paris to go to Euro Disney, so now it is a must item! Funny thing about Josh not opening the presents... Brooklyn loves her presents... we can't keep them under the tree because she has figured out how to rip the paper off them. Oh well, I bought those nesting boxes at Costco and put them under the tree so it looks like there is something besides empty space.
Cassie

Wed Dec 07, 03:32:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

David,
Not sure if it was intentional or not, but you rhymed in your previous comment. "Walk down any alley... find something new. If you are cold... get a kotatsu." Anyway, it made me laugh. We're planning to buy one now that we have a sofa and can measure out the correct size of kotatsu to buy. I read on Sushi Jeff's site about them and I think it's a great invention, considering how cold it has been getting these days.

Cassie,
Don't feel too bad about missing a day in France for EuroDisney. You probably would have just spent the extra day at the Louvre soaking up art and history. :)

-Mike

Wed Dec 07, 03:13:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home