Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Island Fever

Mike rescheduled with his student this week and is teaching him tonight rather than Thursday, so after running around the house making our home presentable and cooking up my weekly "treat" (tonight it was Apple Crisp) for his student, I now have time to relax and type down my thoughts.

Island Fever. The term is affectionately used in America where most of the time it affects Hawaiians. Obviously and maybe a little unfortunately, I'm not Hawaiian, so in the past I couldn't ever understand how someone could get tired of living on an island. I can safely say however after spending almost 2 years in Japan and only really visiting "home", I've caught onto the idea. I'm ready for a change!

We are in the beginning stages of planning a vacation in Thailand - WOOHOO! I'm ready for sun, sand, beaches, swimming pools, massages, elephant rides, hotels and shopping. I'm especially looking forward to no cooking or cleaning for a while. I really don't mind that it's a series of different islands as well. One can't really ask for much when one lives amongst thousands of islands in the Pacific. The important part is that it's going to be a different cultural experience.

In other news, Mike's half marathon is this weekend so type in a message to wish him luck. He's been working hard and even has been showing off his blisters and blackened toenails to me. Boy, I must love him a lot to indulge him the way that I am! Actually, I take that back. Although I have rubbed his legs and dutifully retrieved aspirin for him as he lays down on the couch in a sweaty lump, several times I've grimaced and shoved his nasty feet away. All the more reason he needs encouragement from our readers out there. It seems as though he might not be getting enough at home. That Saturday morning I'm planning to have breakfast burritos and some close friends over to give him a pat on the back to congratulate him. Although I wish I could invite all of our cyberspace friends, I'm afraid I just don't have enough chorizo!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I offer Mike encouragement but you have a valid point with his feet. I am heading back to Kyoto November 21-30 if you happen to be in nthe area.

David fromm NC

Wed Oct 10, 09:21:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Jeff D said...

I'm jealous of your Thailand trip. My friends and I had a great time there before leaving for Japan.

Good luck to Mike, and tell him to check the size of his running shoes. I went to a running store here in Boston before doing my marathon training and they put me into a pair of sneakers a half-size bigger than I'd ever worn before. He said if I didn't my toenails would fall off and said the only reason that happens to people is that they wear sneakers that are too small. Just an FYI.

Jeff

Wed Oct 10, 10:45:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

Wow, good advice Jeff! I run quite a few miles weekly and I'm due for a new pair of kicks. I've been noticing the same thing with "smooshie" feet.

Good luck Mike! You'll give that pavement a good pounding I just know it. And enjoy your vacation, it should be wonderful!

Sat Oct 13, 04:40:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks guys and gals! Jeff - the funny thing is that I did buy a half-size too big for that very reason. Yet I'm still getting the nasty toes (if you're really adventurous or enjoy nasty pictures, you can see my toe shots at the side blog... japanyearsrunning.blogspot.com, but they aren't for weak stomachs). Great advice about the bigger shoes, though. I think I just have renegade feet that like to cause me trouble.

Less than 1.5 hours till run time!

Mike

Sat Oct 13, 05:50:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! At this point Mike may already be running!!! Hope all goes well...on the flip side and not knowing that much about it, I wonder if the heels of your shoes are too wide, allowing your foot to slide forward as you run...just a thought. As a very sedentery Mom/Grammy, I really am just guessing! Any plans on the "when" for Thailand? I can't wait to hear all about it!
Love, Mom

Sat Oct 13, 11:14:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Antipasta said...

Mike: Good luck on the marathon... frankly, I admire anyone who's got the discipline to train for anything that resembles running for a long period of time. :)

Nicki: I feel your pain.. you don't need to be on an island, to have island fever... hang in there.. You'll be back in sunny SD before you know it.. :)

Su-chun

Sat Oct 13, 09:10:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home