Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Budding Artist?

For the past couple of months, Mike has taken on teaching English privately every Thursday night. His student comes over right after we put Josh down for bed, so during the session I'm banished upstairs. In all honesty, I really appreciate this time. It gives me one nice quiet uninterrupted hour to sit, contemplate, and blog.

Since our return home, I haven't gotten out much. I mean "gotten out" in terms of being amongst the people or, "in Japan". Many of our readers are familiar with the US Military life overseas. However for those readers who are not, suffice to say that it's quite possible to spend one's whole time here in Japan with virtually zero interaction with Japan. Most bases have just about any amenity needed to live. I do most of my shopping there for groceries and other small items. It's also where I do all of my other things, like dry cleaning or tailoring. For many who live on base, going "into Japan" takes a concerted effort sometimes, especially if one has children. Josh has started preschool on base 3 days a week leaving me time to drive him to school, go to the gym, run errands, drive home, eat lunch, clean, and drive back to pick him up at school. This leaves me little time to see what the latest and greatest thing is out in downtown Yokosuka. On Josh's days off though, I try to do something fun. This week was a little difficult and because I've been busy running around, I also feel like I really haven't had time to reach into my writer's hat and do a really good entry (This is my latest attempt).

Last night, I made plans to go to SPASSO with some of my friends. There were two newbies in our group that evening. Nathalie has been with our group of friends for sometime but was unable to attend our previous SPASSO outings due to her pregnancy and then new baby. Kerri has just arrived in Yokosuka and was able to have her first onsen experience. There is truly (and I think I've said this in previous posts) nothing like sitting in a hot salt/mineral water bath looking out into the dark ocean underneath the stars. The autumn weather was perfectly cool across our faces as we chatted and watched swirls of steam rise up into the sky. Time always flies but I can honestly say that nothing frees my mind more than just having that time with adults. I come away nice and warm. Usually upon my return home, I crawl into bed and sleep like a log.

This morning we woke up to sunshine after about 5 days of light rain. Since I had such a good night's sleep, I was finally ready to take Josh to the Nogeyama Zoo up in Yokohama to see the animals. I really enjoy this zoo. There's no fee to enter, but there are no concessions except for snack and drink vending machines. Although the exhibits are compact (Animal rights activist in the States would have this place shut down in a heartbeat) it makes it very easy for Josh to see all of the animals. They also have a small petting zoo with chicks, guinea pigs, and mice. Small children absolutely adore this part. They also are nice enough to supply an English map upon request.

While we were home in California, my younger sister Kimberlee gave Josh her old digital camera (can you believe it..."old" digital camera) and this was the perfect opportunity for him to use it. We all might be able to take an educated guess as to why he might be so fascinated with taking pictures? Well, at any rate this was his first real photography session. That's right, Josh at 4 years old went out into the field to express himself artistically through photography. In his honor, because he is a member of this family, and because we are absolutely smitten with him, we will be creating a "Josh's pictures" tab on the side... coming soon! In the meantime, click here to enjoy Josh's pictures and stories!

5 Comments:

Blogger Ginny said...

With the base, it is so easy to be in Japan without being "in" Japan. That is why we never moved onto the base when we were there. We loved our neighborhood and I loved taking the bus to and from my job. I could walk through downtown and up chuo hill before getting the bus just to enjoy the sights, smells, and sounds of Japan.

Fri Oct 05, 09:27:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were actually several great pictures, especially the plant animals--okay, so Grammy is a little proud--great going Josh!! I hope you are liking the camera. Hey,is there a story on your new obi Nicki--it looks beautiful!!! Wish I was there for your SPASSO night! Love, Mom

Sat Oct 06, 05:15:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger nelnelcoolj said...

Hi. I've been kinda following your blog for a while now...more in envy for where you are and how you're bringing up your boy. Don't know if you recall my past comments, but I used to live on the base, my dad a career sailor. I have such an affinity for Yokosuka, I loved everything about that place. It was home to me for 9 years. And to see the things you've exposed your son to, makes me wish the same for my own boy (I have my own 4 year old). The places you speak of in your blog brings me back to my own childhood experiences and makes me wish the same for my Jake. This current entry makes me laugh a bit because we just got back from a weekend trip to Santa Barbara (we're from the Bay Area in California). We too have just given our Jake an "old" digital camera and it's amazing to see the world through his eyes. I just wanted to thank you and your family for, in your own way, helping me remember where I grew up. Your son and my Jake are actually quite similar, but boys of that age are typically cut of the same cloth, aren't they? Keep up the blogging!!! I'm going to give you the blog address to my wife's blog. I'm not much of a writer in the blog sense. She's the journal-er of the family.

moregreenmangoes.blogspot.com

Thanks again!

Tue Oct 09, 01:50:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nelnelcoolj,

Thanks for your kind words. Your wife's blog is great. I love how blogging can be such a great resource for being able to vent and have the writer in just about all of us spring out.

Japan for us has been an experience of a lifetime. There has been good and bad during this experience but one this is for sure that when we leave this place it will be unforgettable and the memories will definitely be happy.

I like to think that our children will blossom in any environment and yours seem to be doing beautifully.

Thankfully back at home (the US) we have such a diverse culture that most people can get a taste of any culture if they look hard enough.

You guys are fortunate that you live in the Bay Area as there really is such a great concentration of Japanese culture that you guys can utilize.

I'm always thankful when I go back to family in California and can still get my sushi fix!!

Tue Oct 09, 06:58:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger nelnelcoolj said...

By the way, my son made a comment on that same trip to Santa Barbara. I guess they were talking about trains in his preschool class because he asked me when he'd get a chance to ride on a bullet train. I told him that we'd have to travel to Japan first. That they didn't have any here in California. He thought for a few minutes and then came back with, "Well, you need to take me there then, because I really want to ride it."

Wed Oct 10, 12:26:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home