Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Lagging

The past few days, this site has really been lagging - the site upload itself and, yes, the content too. I think I fixed the problem with the site upload. As it turns out, every time I tried to load The Japan Years blog page, the loading seemed to stop at the same spot, where our Japan Blogger webring info was located on our page. Since it was having troubles, I got rid of the html code for that feature (my apologies to the Japan Blogger Webring folks) and now the page seems to come up in short order.

The second lag, our personal lack of blog posts, will get fixed soon. I'm still shuffling through some beautiful Hawaii pictures from our trip over Memorial Day weekend, but I've been slowed significantly by a work-related trip to Okinawa, starting a second job giving English lessons to a neighbor, and spending any reasonably nice evening outside with Josh after work, since it's been raining so much otherwise. I hope to finish up with the pictures this weekend and will post as soon as I do with all the great shots and stories.

In the meantime, a buddy of mine in San Diego, Charles, sent a pretty cool link to me this past week:

http://www.diddlefinger.com/

The site name is kinda strange (yes, it's safe for work), but it may prove useful here for the rest of our tour. Basically, it runs the Google Maps site program, but it overlays English words (romaji characters) for the city names throughout Japan, for non-native Japanese people who don't read kanji characters very well.

For those of you that don't know exactly where in Japan our beautiful city of Yokosuka-shi is located, you can now go to that link and zoom in on Tokyo. Then scroll directly south until you see the word Yokosuka-shi. That's our home!!!

On a final note, Happy Father's Day weekend to all of the hard working dads throughout the world, with an extra tip of the hat to my own dad as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy B said...

just bumbled into your blog, via Google! I was looking for info about my son's first Navy assignment coming up soon. He's still in training, but just found out he's going to be in Norfolk with USS GW, and thanks to google, learned he will go to Yokosuka. I bet he doesn't even know that much yet, he's still studying hard for his next test. Just thought I'd drop you a note, and say I enjoyed the diddlefinger thing, and reading thru your blog briefly. I'm learning alot through his experiences, but have alot more to learn!
Sandy

Thu Jun 21, 12:10:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for chiming in and congratulations on being a Navy mom! You are indeed correct that the GW is planning to head this way in the near future.

Our blog archives have a lot of information about Yokosuka and the surrounding area... at least the things that we've seen and done since moving here back in Oct 2005. If you (or he) have any questions, let us know. We'll do our best to help.

-Mike

Thu Jun 21, 07:08:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home