Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Breakdown

'The wisdom's in the trees and not the glass windows'
-Jack Johnson


Jack Johnson's the man. His latest album (if we call them albums anymore?), In Between Dreams is one of those albums that I can listen to over and over again and it just doesn't get old. That quote is from his song Breakdown.

These last few days since Hawaii have been a little crazy. The following weekend after our return, Mike had to fly down to Okinawa for work, so Josh and I have been filling our days with jogging, Sea Paradise, and a trip to Toys R Us. Josh is at the age where he absolutely loves taking the train. As long as I'm able to go during semi slow hours and I know where I'm going, it's an enjoyable trip for the both of us. It gives us a chance to talk about things. I've also taken advantage of the on base childcare for a couple more hours this week just to give me a little break, since Mike's not here to give me one. I jog to childcare in the morning (about 5K), drop him off, lift weights, then walk to the train station, take the train home, drive back in the afternoon to pick up Josh and the jogging stroller and drive home. It may seem like a lot of work just to get a jog in, but I find that the train ride home gives me a good 30-40 minutes to just reflect.

Today, one of my favorite bakeries located in Saikaiya shopping center, Pompadour, was calling my name as I strolled to the train station. I caved and bought a small baguette and some blueberry pastry. Talk about customer service! As I walked up to pay at the register, they switched out the baguette that I had picked out and replaced it with one that they had just pulled out of the oven. OH HEAVEN! Needless to say a quarter of it was mysteriously missing when I got home. :) There is nothing better than a hot fresh hunk of French bread slathered with a generous smear of butter. No wonder my running isn't taking off the weight with the way I'm eating.

Along with all of this, I recently just finished reading The Rape of Nanking. A friend of mine recommended it. Whoever has not heard of this book or the event itself, I highly recommend it. It's a historical book (although it's not boring) and discusses one of the most horrendous atrocities committed during WWII in China. Although it's not a "light" or "enjoyable" read, it's something that I think should be required reading for college students. It moved me enough to put up a recommendation on our site.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Mmmmmm....I miss bread.

I am on a reading hiatus. I burnt out. Now that summer is here and tv is lame, I'll probably pick it up again. Thanks for the recommendation.

How was Hawaii??

Fri Jun 08, 01:15:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Jeff D said...

I read that book while I was traveling in Asia. The woman who wrote it ended up committing suicide she was so distraught by what she learned. Great, great book and something that very few Japanese want to talk about.

Fri Jun 08, 05:18:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are one hot, 'travelin' on the trains, gettin' out and about' mama! Glad to hear thing are going well and you had the opportunity to enjoy a good book. I haven't read that one- my reading these days consists of textbooks and wine literature for my internship...but will have to put that one on the long term reading list!

Sat Jun 09, 01:00:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

I'm so happy to hear that you're taking the body out for a spin! You always look wonderful, and now I'm sure you feel even more wonderful with all of that body motion.

I miss Japan's bakeries! What customer service. Rich and I talk about this almost daily, and we compare the U.S. to Japan in customer service....the U.S. always fares poorly by comparison.

Would love to pick up that book, and would love a review from you in the future if you have time.

Ciao!

Sun Jun 17, 06:42:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home