Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Tsunami, anyone?

Our friendly neighborhood warning signals went off a little over an hour ago with a very unfamiliar but bone-chilling message, "A tidal wave warning has been issued for the local area. Please take precautions if you are near the coastal area." (this message, of course, was preceded by a similar message in Japanese). For those of you that don't know, we're immediately across the street from the Tokyo Bay... pretty much right where it meets up with the Pacific Ocean.

If that wasn't enough to worry me, I started searching the local Navy base webpage and found absolutely zero information about the approaching tsunami. Went downstairs and turned on the AFN news station... nothing. Then I closed our storm windows and headed back upstairs to do some deductive reasoning.

#1 - What causes tsunami events? Earthquakes
#2 - What sources are available to find out about quakes? Read on...

So I checked the USGS Earthquake report website, and sure enough there was a quake (magnitude 7.8 - 8.1) about 1,000 miles north of Tokyo near some of the islands between Russia and Japan. Then I turned to the Japan Meteorological Agency webpage, which gave me an excellent visual of the "Tsunami Advisory" area of potential impact. A picture for your viewing pleasure:



Shortly thereafter, my telephone rang. Being around 9:30PM, I figured it was someone from base or nearby warning us about the tsunami. As it turns out, it was my dad... thanks Dad! He heard from my aunt (thanks, Mary Ann!) who heard about the quake and tsunami on the news. Funny that they are on the east coast of the United States and are getting better information than I am about this thing. Anyway, I learned from my dad that a tsunami of 16 inches hit Japan's northernmost island of Hokkaido. Then he told me that a 6.5 aftershock (that's still a biggie) created a smaller tsunami that hit Hokkaido, this time at a height of 8 inches.

Nice.

Now, our advisory time is basically over and I'm staring at the boardwalk across the street observing absolutely nothing. Time to go to bed. Good night to all...

Stay dry!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeff D said...

I happened to be online when the warning hit, no more then four friends IMd me asking about it. My wife called all worried.

Reminds me of my freshman year at State when a tornado ripped apart the Wal-Mart up by Crabtree. My mom called to make sure I was OK and I had no idea what she was talking about.

Thu Nov 16, 12:35:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Crabtree was built in the worst spot in Raleigh. I was in school during Hurrican Fran. Fran was supposed to hit the coastal Carolina area so all kinds of people came inland to Raleigh. Instead, the storm moved inland just south of Wilmington and smacked Raleigh with some of the worst devastation in years. Crabtree Valley was completely flooded out. Heck, even my apartment had about a foot of standing water in it for several weeks.

-Mike

Thu Nov 16, 07:47:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Just thought you'd like to know that the earthquake that caused your tsunami warnings in Japan actually affected the States. In Crescent City, a 5-foot surge rolled into the harbor and destroyed 2 docks, causing about $700,000 damage. Surges were actually observed from Port San Luis on the Central Ca. coast to the Oregon border. In 1964 (a few years before your time) a tsunami actually washed away 11 people in Crescent City, the one and only time a tsunami took lives in the continental US. Glad you weren't affected!!!!

Love,
Mom

Fri Nov 17, 12:57:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

That is really creepy. That must have been scary for you not knowing what to expect during that time. Why the warning?

Sun Nov 19, 06:33:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

Wow, I came to your post a little late in the game (had out of town people in so have been in a news hole). I'm glad to hear that you guys are okay!!!

What a freakish experience, especially because you can see the water from your house. Yikes!

Mon Nov 20, 02:35:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scared us. Glad you were safe.

Thu Dec 07, 07:52:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home