Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Monday, August 28, 2006

Another Early Morning in Kamakura

It's been a while since my last solo excursion into the great wide open to shoot photos. So on Saturday night, I set my alarm for 05:00AM with the intention of heading to Kamakura the next morning.

Rolling out of bed was surprisingly easy on Sunday morning. I actually woke up several times throughout the night, excited about the early morning adventure, like a child on Christmas morning. So when my alarm went off as scheduled, I ran downstairs, performed a fast-forward version of my morning routine, then headed out for Maborikaigan Station. I've never been a morning person, but I love this time of morning in Japan. As the sun is rising, there are very few people out on the street and even the busy Japanese cities so close to Tokyo and Yokohama seem desolate. The only sound, as far as my ears could hear, was the early morning chirping of the summertime cicadas.

As usual, it took about an hour to get to Kamakura from the house, since the journey includes a short walk between Shioiri Station on the Keikyu Line and JR's Yokosuka Station; not to mention the waiting I had to do for trains at each station. I got to Kamakura a little past 06:30AM and headed out the west exit - away from all the typical Kamakura tourist locations - and headed towards Sasuke Inari Shrine and Zeniarai Benten Shrine. A bit about each:

Sasuke Inari Shrine: Built around 1195AD, this lesser known shrine is dedicated to Inari, the harvest Shinto god, who as legend has it came to Minamoto Yoritomo in a dream and advised him to build an army while in exile in Izu and overthrow a rival Clan. For more on the history, click here.

They could probably change the name of this place to Spider Inari Shrine, because the only other living things that appeared to have visited this shrine all summer were Japan's famous large colorful spiders. As some of you may know, I'm not a big fan of spiders, but I braved the web-covered pathway and saw a very interesting shrine. The place reminds me of Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto, with all of the torii gates lined up, but on a much smaller scale. The Inari god must have a thing for foxes, because both Fushimi Inari and Sasuke Inari are filled with them.

Zeniarai Benten Shrine: One of the more popular shrines in Kamakura, Zeniarai Benten was also inspired by a dream of Minamoto Yoritomo, in which a Shinto god recommended he build the shrine to bring peace to the country (seems like these two dreams have conflicting gods). For more, click here.

Zeniarai means "coin washing", and one of the popular things to do at the shrine is to take one's money and wash it in one of the natural springs within the shrine's large cave. Legend has it that the money that is washed here will double, so many people have been seen washing large denomination paper money, even though zeniarai means "coin washing", not "money/bill washing". It's a fun little tradition, so I gave it a try and I will keep you posted if I get rich. On a side note, I actually washed both my Japanese Yen and my American coins that I had on hand. My logic was that maybe it would work for both denominations. We will see...

More pictures are in our Gallery - you'll find them in the 08/28/2006 category. Enjoy!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Nicki san! This is Sachiyo. It was great to see you at Aime's girls night! It was sooooo much fun, isnt it?!

As I told you, you'd better to spend washed coins as soon as possible. It meas like "What goes around comes around" :)

I like to see the blog about Japanese things by people from other countries.
Its really interesting for me.I could see everything from a different point of view.

Hope to see you soon!

PS your son looks soooo lovely with angel kisses!


Sachiyo

Tue Aug 29, 10:51:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sachiyo,

It was so nice to meet you and everyone at Aime-san's party. Thank you for the tip on money washing. My husband will appreciate it! Thank you for taking a look at our webpage.

Tue Aug 29, 02:14:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

That's a cool tradition. Let me know if it works. I'll send you all the coins I got!

Thu Aug 31, 05:15:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haven't noticed any differences in the weight of my wallet yet, but feel free to send me any money that you want to!

:)

-Mike

Thu Aug 31, 09:01:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos- as usual!! That is so interesting about the coin washing! Kamakura is really such a cultural treasure, so close to the base, isn't it? I love it there! Thanks again for sharing your photos and experience!

Thu Aug 31, 03:36:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Aime,

Kamakura is a treat and I love that it's so close to home. It's like having our own little Kyoto in our backyard.

-Mike

Fri Sep 01, 10:26:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home