Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Settling In

We moved into our new place on Thursday (Nov 10) and all went smoothly. Our furniture shipment from the States still hasn't arrived, so we are using some loaner government issued furniture in the meantime, or as it's called here, Fred Flinstone furniture. It's actually not all that bad, but all we really have is a bed, a dresser, a dining room table with 2 chairs and a highchair, and a sofa. Josh is still sleeping in his pack-and-play crib and our only source for entertainment is our portable DVD player, which is mostly used as a CD player for us or a Baby Einstein player for Josh.

The good news is that our express shipment from the States is set to arrive at our house tomorrow. The bad news is that it only includes a few blankets, a coffee maker (which Nicki is really excited about), a broom, and a few other small things. I checked with the household goods office and it looks like our main shipment of goods (furniture and other large items) have reached Japan, but they are currently going through customs. I've been told that it could be another week or two before it'll be dropped off at our place.

In the meantime, we're living without a home telephone, cell phones, or a home computer. So if it takes us a while to update the blog, you know why.

Kamakura Again

Over this past weekend, we went back to Kamakura... this time to see the Daibutsu, or "Great Buddha". It really lives up to it's name, too. That thing is huge. What was especially neat about the trip for me anyway was that we had to transfer train lines to get there. It was the first time that we had to buy a transfer ticket without help and we succeeded.



This coming weekend, we're planning a trip to Yokohama to see Chinatown and hopefully the Landmark Tower, which apparently is the tallest building in Japan. If it's a clear day, we'll try to head to the top and see what we can see.

"I Feel Violated"

Nicki wrote a pretty good diary entry the other day about moving into the new place, so I'll let her fill you in about that. But there is one interesting item in the house that I wanted to discuss... our Japanese toilet. We actually have two toilets in the house. The upstairs one is American style, but the downstairs one is Japanese style. There are several different buttons and handles to choose from while performing one's duties. What we've figured out so far is that one knob controls the heat level of the toilet seat - that's a nice feature in our relatively un-insulated house. Every time you sit down, your cheeks meet up with a nice and toasty seat. Not sure yet what a couple of other knobs do yet, but I'm sure we'll figure it out sooner or later. Then, there's the magic handle.

The magic handle controls a hose feature in the toilet bowl that sends a spray of water towards someone's rear end or other nearby anatomy. I was hesitant to try the magic handle, but finally came around and used it. And let me just tell you... it was probably the strangest feeling ever. I was also surprised to learn, as the water sprayed against my unprotected bum with a more-than-moderate pressure, that it's heated water. And if you're not ready for heated, high pressured water against your vulnerable parts, it's a bit of a shock. I nearly jumped off the seat and did a header into the bathroom door. Nicki tried it too, and when it was over she summed it up with a simple, "I feel violated". I couldn't have said it any better myself.

14 Comments:

Blogger Antipasta said...

Almost all of the Italian houses that we saw had a bidet (sp?), including ours. I haven't summoned the courage to try for fear of the "violation" factor. I'll stick with good ol' toilet paper for now.. :)

By the way, Greg Magnuson is also keeping a blog, check it out if you want to get a different experience in Napoli.

http://lappingwaves.blogspot.com

Good luck with your household move.. (Buona fortuna!)

Ciao! Su-chun

Tue Nov 15, 07:47:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

I have been waiting for your new posting. I think I am seriously living vicariously through you! I love traveling the world, and haven't been able to teh past few years with school and Brooklyn, etc. Don't keep me waiting too long in between posts. I get very impatient! :) On a side note, I loved your last post. I remember the bidets in Europe and as the previous comment mentions, I was never brave enough to use any of the buttons. I can't wait for you to get a computer at home so the posts can come more regularly. I need to see pictures again soon too!

Cassie

Thu Nov 17, 07:08:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Brother:

Stop it! You’re killing me here. Your bidet story still has me in tears.

Thu Nov 17, 08:04:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger J said...

Oh how I remember the loner furniture!! GAH! I used to live in Yokosuka for a few years (husband was on the Kittyhawk).

Found you thru sushi cam & your bit on the toilet had me in tears. I think I screamed out loud the first time that happened to me!

Fri Nov 18, 05:11:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome, Betty, and thanks for posting. Although I can't promise photos of Jeff's caliber in the near future, I am hoping that his photographic eye will rub off on me a little bit.

With regards to the magic handle on our toilet, I wouldn't quite call it a bidet, at least like the ones I've heard about and seen in pictures. I always expected a bidet to be a stand-alone unit next to a toilet. In our Japanese-style toilet, it's all one piece of equipment. I'll have to share photos when I can to give it justice.

-Mike

Fri Nov 18, 08:35:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger J said...

That puff of air got me. The Morrigan Pub below the Hotel Goddess has one of those toilets. The "Curtosey flush" button always cracked me up.

Fri Nov 18, 01:44:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also found you through Sushicam. Those other knobs on your toilet control the pressure and tempreature. You're going to love it there! Tell Jeff Dvid from Kyoto says hello

Sat Nov 19, 06:20:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Betty, they should call it the "Curiousity Flush" button for all of us gaijin.

Thanks for the tip, David. I'll let Jeff know that you said hello. I'll also have to play with the knobs to see if we can lower the pressure... that may help. I hear wonderful things about Kyoto and hope to take a trip out there as soon as we get settled in here.

-Mike

Mon Nov 21, 08:13:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

Oh my gosh that is too funny! My grandma has an american style toilet with all the japanese gadgets (you know she lives in Yokosuka too). The heated seat is nice, but the water spray cleaning is hilarious and a bit shocking at first. If I recall my grandma's dries your rear as well. Glad to hear your family is settling in...

Take care, Monica

Wed Nov 23, 12:02:00 PM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Monica,

Thanks for checking in. I don't think ours has the nifty drying device, mostly because I still haven't touched the two other buttons on the toilet yet. With time, I may get more bold. Please keep in touch and let me know if you're planning any trips out here anytime soon.

-Mike

Wed Nov 23, 02:46:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is LOL funny. At my favorite sushi restraunt in Sacto they have one of those toilets. The heater is great esp with winter here but I have been to afraid to use the water. Maybe if I was in the privacy of my own home when jumping off the toilet and screaming would be ok ;)

Keep up with the great stories I love the detail. P.S. have you checked out Jade and Edmund's site for Kaili?

Thu Nov 24, 09:26:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

We just got internet set up in the house. Not sure if Jade ever sent Nicki the link because Nicki hasn't checked email in so long. I'd love to see the site, though.

-Mike

Thu Nov 24, 03:16:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, now that you've started posting photos, you should post one of this toilet with the magic handle.

Fri Dec 02, 03:17:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I lived in Yokosuka from 1984 thru 1987. I have enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your pictures; it brings back so many memories.

Tue Jan 17, 12:21:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home