Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Bumblebees and Football

Learning about the differences between Japan and the United States happens almost immediately. Some of the differences, though, surface in their own time and in their own ways. One thing I figured out immediately was that American football, both college and NFL, are shown in Japan on the AFN (armed forces network) if you are lucky enough to have access to the AFN. However, because of the time difference, most of the games happen sometime during my regular sleeping hours so I have missed a lot of the games since I've been here. But something magical happened to me today on my way to my Tuesday lunch - I passed by a television and saw that Monday Night Football was still on in the USA. Then it hit me that during my lunchtime on Mondays, Sunday's evening game is on, too. And on Fridays, I can watch Thursday night college ball during lunch. So I've decided to strategically work my lunch breaks in the future around the 4th quarter of my Monday, Tuesday, and Friday games. Can't you tell I'm adapting well to Japan life?!!!

On a totally different wavelength, I think that Nicki and I saw Mothra today. You may remember Mothra from the wonderful Godzilla movie days. If not, do a google image search and you'll know what I'm talking about. Actually, it turns out that what we saw was a bumblebee, and Nicki summed it up well by saying that the thing was as big as her thumb. And that was just its body - it's wingspan was about my entire hand. We've also heard that other insects and spiders grow pretty huge here, too. Not looking forward to seeing any large spiders or cockroaches, but we'll keep you posted if we do. I tried to get a picture of the bee, but the thing came after me every time I got close and it's stinger could have left a hole the size of a bullethole in me, so I stayed back.

Nicki and I are enrolled in our Inter-Cultural Relations class this week, starting today (Tuesday) and going through Friday. Today, we learned about what happens on base, how, and why - and also got an idea of the activities that can keep us entertained, energized, and active while we're here. Tomorrow, we'll learn about the Japanese language, culture, and whatnot. Thursday is called "field trip day", when we'll head down to the train station as a group and then we're set free to take our first train ride anywhere we want. Friday, we're set to take our driving-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road test, using our steering-wheel-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-car vehicle. Fortunately, we'll take the test on base, where the roads are normal sized. One day, I'll have to upload a picture of a normal two-way residential street here in Yokosuka. A Volkswagon would have trouble maneuvering one of those streets.

Nicki's been feeling under the weather this past week, too. I started to feel sick yesterday, but I seem to have gotten the abbreviated version. She's been a trooper, though, still attending class dispite a miserable cough and nose-clogging congestion. Wish her well soon!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our apologizes for not responding quicker to your blog. Seems that the three of you are readily adapting to your new home. Doesn’t sound like Yokosuka City has changed much at least with regards to the width of residential streets and all the street signs still in Japanese. Mikasa Park was always a quiet place within the rather bustling area of Yokosuka City.

I see you have the time zone and Football schedule worked out. I didn’t realize the only way to view state side sporting events was still AFN. Great shit it was that way in the 70’s.

Your first encounter with the large insects of Japan seems to have gone well. Your approach of distancing yourself from potential danger seemed sound to me. I mean why the hell would you want to be stung, lets say in the face and not be able to see out of one or both of your eyes for a week to ten days.

Anyway I need to get back to work. Will do some more catching up soon.

Alan

Wed Oct 26, 02:34:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Alan,
We're definitely getting the hang of it here. I think the one big difference between now and the 1970's is that we heard that back then, our Navy boys were a bit rowdier. Then again, just tonight (it's Friday night here), Nicki, Josh and I were out on a walk and we heard a car full of Navy girls hollering at a group of guys as they went by. So maybe it's the ladies that are rowdy, now.

Keep in touch... I tried sending you guys an email using my hotmail account, but I think your work account may have blocked it because I didn't hear back from any of you.

-Mike

Fri Oct 28, 08:32:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home