Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Monday, October 09, 2006

Shades of Mt. Fuji

Nicki, Josh and I are still in one piece, despite the tropical storm that brushed by the Miura Peninsula on Friday. I took Friday morning off from work to watch the Thursday Night (in America) ESPN college football matchup between my beloved NC State Wolfpack and the Florida State Seminoles. It was a close game that ended well, with the Pack coming away with a 24-20 victory.

The good thing about tropical storms and typhoons here in Japan is that afterwards, we usually experience several days of clear, dry, wonderful weather. That was indeed the case by Saturday. We spent Saturday morning in Yokohama at the World Food Festival in Yamashita Park, which was basically a big food taste-a-thon represented by most of the major countries in the world. We tried all kinds of different foods and a few beers from all kinds of different countries and had a blast. I'll share some pictures soon... but will trump them now with the events that unfolded later this weekend.

Sunday morning, I decided to get up early to head over to Hayama to shoot some pictures, assuming the good weather would carry over until Sunday morning. Unfortunately, I set my alarm to go off around 5am, but didn't actually turn the alarm to the on position... so I woke up a bit late and got a late start. When I got to Hayama, I found a nice free parking spot behind a car that I immediately recognized as SushiJeff's. Jeff is the one who told me about Hayama and last time I was out there, he was there the following day. I guess great minds think alike. I was going to leave a sign on his dashboard saying, "It's 7am, do you know where your Canon 70-300mm lens is?", because he has been kind enough to let me borrow it and it's the perfect lens to catch that view... but I didn't have paper and a pen handy. After shooting a few photos, I realized that the sun had come up just too far for me to get the shots that I wanted. So I gave up and went home, determined to come back the following morning to try again. When I got home, I read my email and found that Boston Jeff (a fellow member of the Wolfpack Nation currently spending a semester up in Tokyo) had sent me an email. He was in Kamakura earlier in the day and got a few pictures of Mt. Fuji from there. So Fuji-san must have been a hot topic in the minds of gaijin throughout the local commuting area.

Today is Columbus Day so I had the day off from work, which worked well in my plan to get up early and head back to Hayama. I set my alarm for 4:30am and this time set it to the "on" position. Sure enough, the clock woke me up at dark-thirty, then I grabbed my gear and hit the road. I got to Hayama a few minutes after 5AM and was completely set up a few minutes after that, still in time to catch a few pre-sunrise shots, too:

After shooting for a while with SushiJeff's lens, I noticed that the moon was still visible above the view. So I switched over to my "walkaround lens", my 28-135mm. Despite the space between the moon and Fuji-san, I was still able to catch this shot:

One thing I've learned about Mt. Fuji is that her photographs are like snowflakes... no two are the same. I guess the same thing can be said about most photograph spots, but it amazes me that during the spring, fall, and winter, and at all different times of the day, you can get great pictures of Fuji-san from all different perspectives, each with its own unique sense of individuality and beauty - just have to avoid the summer months, when the mountain is typically covered in a blanket of haze.

Some other select pictures from my session in Hayama this morning are posted under today's date (10/09/2006).

6 Comments:

Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Gorgeous pictures yet again. You'll have to give me a lesson if you are ever back "home". I am glad to hear you guys are safe after the storm. Was it scary??

Tue Oct 10, 03:23:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Kristin,

Storm wasn't too scary, but I went through quite a lot of those growing up in the South. It was only a tropical storm, though... not a full-fledged typhoon. Even still, we hear that typhoons here aren't as strong as the ones that hit the Southeast states back home. There were a few gusts on Friday that almost knocked me over, though.

-Mike

Tue Oct 10, 08:55:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger nelnelcoolj said...

Hi. I happened upon your site while searching for Yokosuka among the various blogs out there on the internet. Reason for the search - I'm a former resident of Yokosuka Naval Base. My dad's retired Navy and my mom was a teacher at Sullivans' Elementary. I felt I had to comment on your blog because I've truly enjoyed the pictures you've taken and the stories you've had to tell. There's a little kinship and nostalgia there. I lived in Yokosuka for 9 years (from 8-17) 1983-1992. I went through elementary and junior and senior high school there. It was a great time. I can't tell you how many friends I have from Yokosuka that have since moved to parts elsewhere that look back on our years there and have nothing but fond memories. To us, that place is home. I can safely say your son will be growing up in a safe, happy and healthy environment. You all are very blessed and very lucky. I remember first moving to Japan and how very strange and different things were, especially as a kid. As the years passed and comfort set in, I knew it was the right place to be to grow up. Looking back now, I wish the same for my 3 year-old son, Jake.

Please keep writing and taking pictures. I'm going to pass your blog onto my friends, if you don't mind. I'm sure they'd get the same feelings I had reading your blog. Best wishes and happy blogging...

Nelson

Wed Oct 11, 06:30:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nelson,

Thank you for your comments and for your support of the blog. Feel free to pass our site along to your friends. Another former Yokosuka resident, who goes by the name Islander Girl, shared similar experiences you had while living here with her folks several years ago. She even mentioned starting up a site for former students here: Yohi Red Devils. Might be able to connect with some old friends that way, too.

You are right... Japan does have its share of new and frustrating experiences, but it is a very rewarding place for a child to grow up. I already know that I will miss this place when we move back home in a few years.

-Mike

Wed Oct 11, 08:32:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger nelnelcoolj said...

I know her. We grew up together and I am also part of that blog! What a small world! We have friends that still live and work in Yokosuka so it's nice to hear (and see) home from time to time. It's so weird, I tell you, when you come back for good. The smallest things you remember...standing up for the national anthem when watching a movie...Friendship Day...the school Bazaars, each one burns into another memory. All I really have to say is cherish the time and memories you make there. You're part of a unique club now.

Wed Oct 11, 09:05:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger PA said...

Great pics of Fuji san. Thanks!
I always used to be looking out for Fuji whenever I travelled on the train in or around Tokyo. I even used to see it from my balcony in downtown Tokyo.
Enjoy~

Wed Oct 11, 08:38:00 PM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home