Click here to return to Japan Years homepage

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Nastiness

If that's even a word that's how I feel. Complete nastiness. That and it feels like knives in my throat whenever I swallow. Oh JOY.

I'm locked up in the house and am taking sick leave while Mike takes my job for the day. I'm already starting to get cabin fever. I know I need the rest. I just feel guilty about it. All you Moms know what I'm talking about right?! That selfish feeling mixed between guilt that we're not there for our kid(s) and that feeling that 'nobody can do it as well as Mommy'. As Mothers we tend to usually have that habit known in the "business world" as micro managing. I believe for me that it fell into my working life when I worked from home.

At any rate, my activities are limited to computer, TV and maybe some books. Mike has gone out with one of my Mommy friends to the park at the end of our neighborhood so that Josh can get some playtime in with his friends and so Mike can get some camera time in with the new lens that he borrowed from Jeff. Jeff already has stated he takes no responsibility for any large purchases Mike may or may not make after he borrows this lens... nice preemptive statement there Jeff.

As for TV, I usually don't watch too much during the day except for my brain trash soap opera. Yes, I have a soap that I watch and it's probably the worst one out there. In fact, while we were at a festival a few weeks ago, the subject came up about soap operas. One of my girlfriends started talking about my show and I believe the statement came out as, "I think they are just trying to question our intelligence! That show is baaaad!" I, of course nodded my head in agreement not admitting that I watch it everyday. I don't neccessaraly love it. It's just that I can't get the soap that I love here in Japan. The one I watch now is the show that came on right after mine in the States. I suppose that I watch it to think of what I'm missing back home. The great thing about soaps is that I can skip a day or two or three and still know what's going on. I can also wash dishes and clean the house while watching it and not miss any vital part of the show. Plus, what's life without a little brain trash? I do even things out. I'm reading 1001 Arabian Nights. Even though it's an amazing book of stories, it can be tedious with all the footnotes. Right now, I'm at the Sinbad stories, about half way through. Granted, I've been reading it for about 6 months now. It's definitely a classic. Probably the first one that I've read since I was in school. I bring it to Spasso when I'm all by myself so I don't have to notice all the Japanese women galking at my naked gaijin body.

Mike will have some more pictures coming soon to the gallery, so keep an eye out. Right now, he and Josh are getting some Daddy and son time in, which is good. Yesterday was the first day that he cried when Mike left for work. He is definitely a Daddy's boy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Yucky! I hope you feel better soon. That is great that Mike could take the day off to care for Josh so you can mend. Dan NEVER does that. Grrrrr....
Enjoy your brain trash. I watch WAY too much of it. Not soaps though...at least I can look down on you about that... LOL

Thu Sep 21, 07:21:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's really bad is when you are living here in the States, stumble part-way into a Korean soap-opera (Winter Sonata), that airs at late-night (in Korean with English subtitles) get hooked immediately, convince your spouse (dear Lavie) to watch just one episode, get her hooked, find the child interested (because we taped it) and hooked, then live on every episode until it is over. But are kinda lost since you missed the first episodes...try to find it on DVD, and find it it hard to come by.

Yikes!

I still haven't lived this one down over here with either of the girls!

Hope you get feeling better soon!

Thu Sep 21, 10:08:00 AM GMT+9  
Blogger ReyLynda said...

Ouch, I hope you feel better soon! Hey, life is short. Enjoy the soap opera! And how would your friend know it was "baaaaad" unless she watched it with some regularity in the first place? Perhaps she's a "closet"
soap fanatic....

Fri Sep 22, 02:07:00 AM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet I can guess which one you watch, since they only carry 3 soaps on AFN, and one is TOTAL trash with no truth to it at all...plus in the states it came on after the 1 soap that I grew up watching.
Have to admit, I have started watching GH since we have been here since it is on during naptime. Sometimes I get to watch the super trash soap on after it.

Fri Sep 22, 07:18:00 PM GMT+9  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon! Being sick in the summer is always the worst! Not only are you feeling nasty, but you are usually sweating from the heat and staring out the window at gorgeous sunshine.

I'm glad Mike has been able to have some extra bonding time with Josh, and allow you to get some R&R too.

Don't even feel bad for a second about your soap, we all have our own forms of harmless, mindless entertainment we indulge in. I love reading STAR weekly and US magazine. I know it is all celeb. gossip, which includes a lot of pure speculation, but hey, it's fun, and soemtimes your brain just needs to disengage and take a little entertainment field trip! Watch on!

Sun Sep 24, 10:27:00 AM GMT+9  

Post a Comment

<< Home